Rekluse set-up

Those of you running the Z-Start - What springs are you running, why, and type of riding you do?

I am putting mine on tomorrow and am curious what spring to start with? I ride trails, but not super technical (hungry Valley type). Very hilly and rough.

I also want to avoid severe engine braking when doing natural terrain jumping.

Thanks,

Ed

I put mine in my 450 about a month ago. Follow the directions, pay attention to the installed gap, and enjoy the hell out of it once you get it dialed in.

I'm a woods guy with just a bit of track work and have what Rekluse calls the "Woods Spring". I think it's the lighter gauge spring in the package.

PM me and I can talk you through the clutch cable slack adjustment. This is pretty critical to get dialed in.

Dirty

The tighter the spring on the clutch arm the quicker it disengages the clutch for a rule of thumb. I tried the medium spring and had total freewheel when off the gas, the bike can roll really fast. I haven't had any problems jumping the bike with this clutch, ride like normal without a clutch lever thing.

been running it almost a year now

I am using the heavy spring with idle at about 1700

Ride woods 99% of the time and find this to be the best setup, Engine braking dont worry about it PERIOD, wont be an issue.

I find the setup I have if I need some a quick blip of the throttle and your slowing down. Remeber Stall Speed is important (Engine Idle) the higher you go, the more engine braking you will get as well as responce.

You can also get heavier ball bearings form Rekluse if you are not satisfied with setup, heavier bearings will engage quicker

ok - I took the bike out with the new Z-Start. All I can say is it is bad-ass!!! I didnt really notice a difference in engine braking. Actually it was kinda nice to be able to control it so easy! My only problem is that im using the stiff spring that is adjusted about half way and Im getting some surging at idle. I would like the bike to rev up a little bit more (more slip?) before the engine kicks in. I will have to call Rekluse and ask them about it. But all-in-all, second best mod I did to my bike, suspension being first.

Tomorrow I will re-check the installed gap and see if its still close to what they recommend.

Thanks all,

Ed

My rekluse surged a little bit when I first installed it but the more it broke in the problem went away. I put about 80 trail miles on the clutch and I am in the process of doing the post break in install gap check and all I can say about the clutch so far is ? :cry: ? :cry:

One thing I did notice when I tore down the clutch is that the very bottom 1/2 width friction disc (that is mated with the boss spring that is removed during installation) toasted the drive plate next to it and I called rekluse and they said that the 1/2 friction disc should be replaced with a whole friction disc (just use the one that was removed originally for the rekluse) and that will take care of that problem if it happens.?

with that setup it should not be dragging. i've seen other people with 02 426's with the same complaint. maybe its bike specific? you could get the perch adjuster,i have mine set for a very low idle and quick engagement and at times when stopped i have to pull the lever to relieve the drag. thats with the adjustment all the way out and 5 TC balls though. you are about at the limit of your adjustment in the direction you need.?

you could get the perch adjuster,i have mine set for a very low idle and quick engagement and at times when stopped i have to pull the lever to relieve the drag.

I have the perch adjuster. I put it on and didnt like the way it worked on my bike. So I pulled it off. I will put it on when I have more time to play with it.

And I putt all new friction discs and plates in the bike with the z-start. I took out the beveled piece, the inside ring, and the first friction plate. Im hoping the installed gap has changed and I can just fix it. Im already running two rekluse plates.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

If you can't get any stall speed adjustment with the light spring, that means you have too much cable slack. Start your bike, put it in neutral, rev it to about 4K RPMs and pull on the clutch lever with one finger. You should feel light resitance for about a half inch of movement at the end of the lever, then it should get harder to pull. Your looking for a half inch of easy movement WITH the bike revved to 4K RPMs. Too much movement and the perch adjuster spring can't do it's thing. No freeplay and you burn up your clutch (just like on a regular clutch).

Any questions, give us a call at 1-866-REKLUSE.

Here is the rekluse web site that give the installation instructions for each bike. It shows diagrams and pictures of the install

http://www.rekluse.com/downloads/index.cfm

Thanks for that link! I hadn't seen that before on the web site. They were much clearer and easy to read with the color pictures instead of the photocopied directions that I recieved. Certainly clarified a few misconceptions that I had.