First ride with weighted flywheel

Took my first woods ride on my YZ426 w/ the new Steahly installed today. It definately has different riding characteristics now. I kind of miss the punch it had on the bottom but really like that it doesn't stall when I chop the thottle now. One other effect I noticed and I'm not sure why this is, but the clutch seems to moan. I never heard any noise at all before the new flywheel and now it kind of groans or moans when I let it out. Any thoughts? :cry:

Did you have to install a different ignition cover to allow the flywheel weight to fit? Sometimes adding a different cover can cause the motor to eminate some new sounds.

Nope...stock cover. The bolt-on type weight requires the bigger cover but this flywheel was a direct swap-out.

Goosedog, what flywheel did you go with? You said bolt on was it a whole new flywheel and how much extra weight was it and of coarse how much $$$$ :cry: Did you change brands of oil? I used to use castole and my clutch kinda howeld and was a little juttery when slipped. When i switched to AMSOIL sinthetic motorcycle oil (something designed for wet clutches) that howl went away. Just a thought. :cry:

Sanpedro, It's a 12oz Steahly complete flywheel. I did change the oil too and used Yamalube 20/40. That's a good point BTW, it's probably the oil making the clutch groan like that. I'm not sure what was in it before cause it was my first oil change since I got the bike used last month. Have you tried the Yamalube that's half synthetic and half organic? I forgot the name of it but heard it's used a lot for wet clutches.

yea i think i used the yamalube once, dont remember why i switched. Probly because i was anal about castrol gtx in my cars/truck, but its not desighned for wet clutches and i got a groan out of the clutch so i switched to AMSOIL and i LOVE it.whenever i find something goin on with my ride i try to think WHAT HAVE I CHANGED, it helps. Thanx for the info on the flywheel, but you didnt say how much $$$$ if you dont mind me asking. :cry::cry:

Thanx for the info on the flywheel, but you didnt say how much $$$$ if you dont mind me asking. :cry::cry:

They go for $195. at Steahlys site. But I got mine used for a little over half that from a TTer.

Congrat's on the flywheel. It seems you like yours as much as I like mine. Plus when you go to the track just lay the bike over and swap the flywheels.

Congrat's on the flywheel. It seems you like yours as much as I like mine. Plus when you go to the track just lay the bike over and swap the flywheels.

Thanks for your inspiration man, it's truely a worthwhile mod. :cry:

Goosedog, i gotta ask , i went to steahly.com not what i was looking for do know the site for the flywheel? Please :cry:

Hello everyone. This is my first day on this site and I'm already liking what I see. I have a 2000 yz426. I was on Steahly's site a few days ago looking at fly wheels. Do you think the 8 or 10 oz. flywheel would have been better then the 12oz.? I really like the hit of my bike but I do want to be able to put more power to the ground. Anyone have experience with the 8 or 10?

Heck I went with a 16 on mine

I really like the hit of my bike but I do want to be able to put more power to the ground.

That's the trade-off. That's also the major diff between a trail bike and a MX bike. It's worth it in my opinion. I've been told anything less than 12oz and you won't feel any real difference.

Holy Shmoly....got a chance to really try out the weighted flywheel today on some tight singletrack and muddy hillclimbs. Man I love it, it rides as smooth as my DRZ now but still with twice the power. It takes a little getting used to and really does ride like a different machine. I put the bike in second gear for most of the tight stuff, forgot about the clutch and it wouldn't stall. I even hit a few hillclimbs from a dead stop at the bottom starting out in second and it lugged like a tractor and wouldn't spin. I know you Rekluse guys swear by your auto-clutches but I just saved myself $400 cause I don't need it. Plus I still get to use the clutch when I want to. Cheers to an extra 12oz. :cry:

goosedog, sounds like 12 is the way to go, i was thinkin i might try 10 OZ. I do like the idea of getting the whole new flywheel and puller, that way IF you want to go back to stock for some silly reason one could do that . :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Holy Shmoly....

You you like it then :cry:

You you like it then :cry:

Definately! And thanks again Dan. :cry:

Goosedog, nice thread. I was torn between the Steahly fly and a Rekluse but I think you've got me convinced to go with my gut feeling. I could put the $$$ I save towards a steering stabilizer. You sure about the 12 oz. instead of the 10. I'm not going to be doing any enduros, just trailriding and hairs.

I put an 8oz one on my YZF400 a few years ago and it made a huge difference on climbing hills and trail riding. I was worried about losing the hit of the bike and while it did mellow it slightly I felt I was getting better traction due to less wheelspin. 8oz was noticeable but for me it was all positive.