HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motolama

XR 650 R Heating too much

8 posts in this topic

I have 650 R with the following jeting:

Main : 175

Low: 60

Needle: 3 from top

Pilot Screw: 2 turns

The problem is: It heats too much and the idle speed is iregular. And it also backfires a lot.

HELP..... :cry:

By low I think you mean the pilot jet. A lean pilot will cause backfiringand and might cause idle problems. I'm running a 68S pilot jet and don't have any backfiring problems anymore.

I run a bigger pilot jet than that in my smaller 600. You need more low throttle fuel, and that means a bigger pilot. Most everyone recommends a 68S pilot, so that might be a good place to start.

He's totally lean. I don't even see how this bike came with a 60 pilot, different country I guess. However, to my knowledge the smallest size from the factory was a 65. Strange. Get the 68s and don't look back. All those issues will be gone.

The 68's pilot jet should minimize overheating and backfiring. If your top end performance at Wide Open Throttle seems a bit soft with the 175 main jet, then

I'd recommend trying a 168 or 170 main jet for better wide open throttle performance while riding at 3600 ft @ 20ºC.