Studding tires for Ice

I want to stud up a spare set of tires for ice on my YZ450F, has anyone done this. Where can I get the picks, and do they have patterns for them? Better yet, anyone have a set already studded for sale? Perhapps already on a set of wheels?

The bike shops around here carry ice studs. I think the most popular are Kold Kutters. They're sharpened hex head screws and do a great job hooking up.

I'm not so sure about patterns. My father was into ice racing for a while and now has a set of Carlisle trials tires studded for his CR500. 4 studs per knob. Looks good and hooks up real good.

- Nick

Ice tires use specialized 1" kold kutter ice screws into a Kenda ice tire. They need a liner inside the tire for the 1" screws to go into. There is a special pattern to studding them that I do know know.

Call Jeff Ferdette. He makes / sells them. They aint cheep (like $600) but you will love the results. Also ice tires must be wraped with protective wraps when rolled off the ice. Ice tires are never ridden on anything but ice.....EVER. When rolling off the ice and back to the truck. Wrap the tires. Moose sells tire wraps.

Or you can just stab in a bunch of screws and go have fun. But to do it right and have some serious fun you need serious tires.

We are into ice racing up north. Checkout our site www.icemachines007.ca

there is a link to our local builder.

Rock Cental Cycle.

Each builder has their style, whether you ride the grove or throw the bike into the corner. Screws we use are 1 1/2 inch, others don't last. ?

You'll be happy with the tires if you happen to buy a set. Tell'em the Icemachines sent you ?

Kold Kutters are the way to go. You can use lengths that don't go all the way through your tire but it may not hold up very long. The right way to go are the longer ones with tire liners. If you do some creative web searching youu can find a couple of picutures. Here is one link with a couple of pictures.

http://www.dieseljo.com/ice_motorcycle_ice_riding_home.htm

At first I thought American and Canadian rules would have no differences. As we buy AMA approved screws.

However the main diference is we plane our tires. AMA states "Tire cutting or regrooving is not permitted in studded class"

Others we race against use the winter type tires but are able to hook up in the deep snow.

Having a lug acts like a paddle and allows the screws to dig in the heavy snow.

You should challenge that rule as there is a huge difference when making a turn in the deep snow, off the main groove.

I just posted a video of one of our practices, You can see how they hook up

Icemachine Practice