Best dual sport kit?

I bought a Baja Designs dual sport kit. I had one minor quality issue and it was taken care of immediately with no questions asked. ? Being a newbie it took me several hours to install, but after doing it once now I could do it in half the time. I opted for the flush mount turn signals in the back because I wanted to keep my XR as "dirt" looking as possible.

I had the E-Line kit on my 650. In over 6000 miles of 99.9% off road use, I didn't even have to replace a bulb. I even left the kit on while racing hare scrambles and never had any troubles. I'm not saying it's any better than the others but for me it was trouble free. ? It's a little pricey though.

Here are a few pics of the bike with the kit on it.

E-Line Kit on 650

No good on the pics w/out membership. I have the BajaDesigns Quick-Release DS kit. Very nice. The only company I know of that uses Honda OEM parts for their kits. Good quality, easy installation, and comes off quick unlike any other one out there. ?

No good on the pics w/out membership. I have the BajaDesigns Quick-Release DS kit. Very nice. The only company I know of that uses Honda OEM parts for their kits. Good quality, easy installation, and comes off quick unlike any other one out there. ?

The pics should work now. I could remove the E-Line kit in 5 minutes or less.

How much faster is the BD kit?

The pics should work now. I could remove the E-Line kit in 5 minutes or less.

How much faster is the BD kit?

1 plug and the whole things comes off. Off course you have to use a flathead to loosen the clamps but that's all. Plus the BD kit comes with an LED tailight, flushmounts(rear), and everything is tucked in nicely away from the rear tire. Those Eline kits will get eaten up if your suspension is too soft. My kit also matches the stock color to a tee so the bike stays red. OEM honda plastics, can't beat the fit or finish. I had an eline on my other ride, didn't compare at all. Just my opinion though...

I also have an Electrex kit and like it very much. It has a key switch for a little bit of extra security (nice touch). It also features a H4 front light so you can have excellent lighting as opposed to being stuck with 35 watts like some kits incase night riding is important to you. It also has hydraulic brake switches for both front and rear brakes. The inline harness connectors underneath the seat has weather resistant coverings. The front head light assembly contains a printed circuit board, the battery, plug in relays, a horn, etc, and the wiring harness easily plugs into the circuit board via Molex connectors. The front head light assembly pivots open for service and the whole assembly easily bolts to the stock triple clamp pinch bolts. There are also unused pins on the molex connectors that supplys a fused voltage so you can easily wire in aftermarket things (GPS, heated grips, etc) and it will look very sano as in factory equipped. The switch assembly that's used to turn on the lights, blinkers, horn, etc, is of higher quality than some of the other kits I've seen. This kit is also DOT legal unlike some of the kits out there, but not everyone needs a fully DOT legal kit. I was also happy with the service from Electrex when I dealt with them in person, but I've also heard very good things about Baja Designs customer service.

I'd highly recommend checking out the kits you're considering in person so you can see them first hand whether at a motorcycle dealer, aftermarket parts supplier, from another TT'r, or from the source. None of these kits are perfect and some are better than others, but I don't think you'll find a single kit as being the best for everyone since people have different needs, priorities, etc, on what they feel is more important to them.

• 3 months later...

I have both baja design DS kits - the quick disconect and the standard one. I perfer the standard BD kit over the quick disconect. The standard does not have all the parts and battery behind the plate. Its all under the seat :D It might be a mental thing but for some reason I feel the bike is front end heavy with the quick disconect kit :naughty: anyhow I have had good luck with all my BD products even the first kit i had on my 95 XR 600.

You might like to try the Trick Dual Sport kit - I have herd nothing but good things about it :naughty:

Definitely check out the Trick Dual Sport kit. ? I had one of the BD standard dual sport kits on my previous XR650 and like the Trick kit much better. Dale at Trick is also a great guy to do business with.