HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
reedvalve

nx650 decompressor cam

1 post in this topic

Hey folks,

I have a '89 NX650 with 32k miles that has become hard to start. The starter, battery & connections are all ok. Once started, the bike runs great. I figured the auto decompressor is faulty so I removed the camshaft to take a look. This was the first time I ever opened the top of this (or any similar) bike. The decompressor clutch looks fine - it rotates in one direction only . I don't know what to make of the decompressor cam though. It doesn't rotate on the shaft but can definitely move around a bit. And its not spring loaded the way the manual shows it should be (or I guess it should be - its not very clear if the spring bears against the cam). To top it off, I am having the hardest time removing the end collar that keeps all these parts together. It won't budge. I guess a big press is needed to push it off. I tried a pulley remover, a little heat and a dead blow hammer with zero results.

Should the decompressor cam be spring loaded?

I'm torn between buying an hydraulic press to dig into this one or getting a new camshaft assembly.

Thanks

Ethan