HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shorte01

Need help on a clutch/tranny problem

10 posts in this topic

Just got back from a day of riding which was cut short because I lost power to the front sprocket. It felt like I was able to get the bike in gear but then there would be no response when releasing the clutch. It didn't matter what gear it was in or whether I was using the clutch or not, the bike would not move. The rear wheel would freely spin with it in gear too, and I noticed the same hot smell that I've noticed around trucks that had been slipping the clutch quite a bit. The ground was extremely muddy and caked all over the bike, making it very difficult to even get it to roll, so getting it back to the truck was quite a chore. I'm hoping its a minor problem with an easy fix, but I've got a feeling in my gut that it just won't work out that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a bunch.

The Bike:

2004 YZ450f

Maybe 15-20 hours

All factory for now, gotta pay off the bike before I add to it

Thanks again

Deep mud + burning smell + no motion, check the clutch first, you might have cooked it. Think back and see if you can remember slipping it a lot.

Also if the clutch is buggered dont forget to clean your frame filter when you change the oil, it has happened to someone once before and they blew the motor with all the clutch fibre blocking the oil flow.

I agree with both the above posts. A smoked clutch could clog the oil filter and force into bypass, filling the frame with crud. Check it out.

Excellent point about the filters, but one correction. The actual filter is after the frame. The order is frame-->frame-screen-->oil-filter. Oil pumped into the frame from the case is unfiltered. Great idea to check them!

What clutch kit would you recommend to replace my cooked one? And any tips on the process? Can change one in a car, but never tried on a bike, not really excited to screw it up.

Excellent point about the filters, but one correction. The actual filter is after the frame. The order is frame-->frame-screen-->oil-filter. Oil pumped into the frame from the case is unfiltered. Great idea to check them!
Amazing how easy it is in this wet sump world of ours to overlook a thing like that, isn't it? :cry:

He's right, the only thing between the sump and the frame is the sump screen, which isn't really supposed to be a filter, just a strainer.

Any tell-tales signs of what I should be looking for? Sorry, just never ventured into a motorcycle clutch before. Thanks