2005 WR450 price....crap

I was at the Yamaha dealer yesterday; as usual I was oggling the 05 WR450's. It was all fun and games until i got to the front and saw the price and damn near sh** my pants. Roseville Yamaha wanted $7,398. Last time I was there they wanted $6,698. Bastards. So I was pondering how I was going to get that kind of cash togethor and I realized that maybe other dealers out of state (i.e. Reno, Nevada) would want less. What really fried my ass was they charge you $250 for the freight and $150 or so for setup and fees. Then before you even get close to the door, then they hit you with tire tax, sales tax, and some other crap.

Do you think if I bought an 05 WR outside California I might get a better deal?

What did you all pay for yours out the door?

Thanks.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, definately buy out of state;it sounds like they charge for every little thing. ? I purchased my 03 WR 450 for $5799 with a small destination fee approx. $50. At the time I was living in Virginia and purchased in West Virginia. If you need the name and number of the Dealer PM me. BTW it was brand new out of the crate! You may try contacting Motorcycle Brokers--I believe that they ship anywhere.

I think MSRP is $6599 for the 05's. I have never paid freight and setup on any Yamaha I've ever purchased. Also, a little inside, the cost to the dealer is 10% less. I bought mine out of Canada from http://www.motorcycle-brokers.com and this was in September. They were getting rid of the 04's so I got mine for $5399 plus I had to pay $200 for the shipping tot he nearest FWD AIR teminal. Then I had to pay sales tax and license on it which cost an additional $527. If you can find a dealer that will give you a good OTD price, take it. But tell them you are shopping. Then when he gives you a low ball price, take it to a competitor, ask him to beat it. Then when he does, take it back to the other store and say "this guy will sell it to me for this much..." and so on. Sooner or later, it will bottom out and then you have found "real rock bottom"

Think of it this way. At least you get to ride it 12 months out of the year. I live in MI and dont get nearly the seat time you west coast guys do. Alot of guys around here go to Canada to buy their bikes. I say thats crap. Scuk it up and support your local dealers

... Alot of guys around here go to Canada to buy their bikes. I say thats crap. Scuk it up and support your local dealers

Hey, buying out of Canada was the only way I could get it plated in my state. I'd love to buy locally, but state law does not allow me to road plate it, even it it meets all requirements. Stupid state laws cost them lots of $$$. I spend the rest of my money for motorcycle stuff locally. ?

F'n stupid politicians ? .... it's rediculous you can't by a new 4S make it street legal and get it licensed here in CA (and apparently WA). I'd love to buy this bike as a dual sport.

That's a great price out of WV.... any idea if they can title them too, and what's the shipping cost, if you know?

David

That's a great price out of WV.... any idea if they can title them too, and what's the shipping cost, if you know?

I don't know if they can title them or not. Give em a call and see what they say. I'm in VA and bought it in WV to avoid paying sales tax. I VA titled it and got a plate a few days after bringing it home. I don't have any street legal stuff on the bike at all yet but getting it plated was a breeze. ?

yami3.jpg

Suck it up? I have never bought a new bike from a local dealer and dont buy most of my parts from them either. Are you going to pay $100 for a chain from your local guy when its $60 deliverd to your door in 2 days from rocky mountian? They want to charge me for a bunch of made up crap on the new bikes. I always buy in another state and pay cash. I saved $1500 on my yz and almost $1000 on the kids new ttr 125. Same bikes just a 45 minute drive south. It doesnt make any sense but I go where its cheapest. Play them against eachother. I work hard for my money Im not stuffin the pockets of greedy local dealers.

If you live in California and want a new bike you're gonna have to pay sales tax, period! Regardless where it came from the CA DMV wants to see tax. I've bought nine WRs from Canada before, now the dollar's weak and for me it was just easier to give my local dealer the business, not his fault we have to pay tax. I paid 6673.00 OTD I feel I got a good deal.

I've weighed it all out aswell, If you buy a WR from VA for a smokin deal, you'll still have to pay freight and tax in CA.. Even if I were to pay 5700, tax would be between 4-5 hundred and freight would be around 300... Not really saving much... ? Justify it all you want..

usually I find when the dealer gives you an OTD price that is within a couple hundred of the MSRP then you have a good deal. Same with a car. They start with MSRP plus tax plus fees. So on bikes they start about a grand higher then where you want them to be on the bike when your done negociating. This is free market not communism...its not commie kalifornia. Its the USA and its basic free market purchasing. It is a classic struggle between buyer and seller.

The seller will try to control the market by fixed pricing and percieved limited supply, The buyer wants more options, more dealers, more supply to drive the price down. You as a buyer need to SHOP AROUND including the internet and talking with your buddies and FIND the best deal, Then you can tell your local dealer to blow donkey.

It is the American way. ?

dan_lorenze, the 6673.00 that you paid out the door is way way better than roseville yamaha wanted. the basically almost $7500 WR that roseville has is just pure communism. uhh... where did you get yours at? I figured that the price of gas is worth saving nearly a 1K on the WR that I intend to buy in March. I just want the best deal, no matter where I have to go.

WOW. much much less then. that'd be Communistafornia. pigs..... well I'll take a trip up to Reno and get one there. Any one out in Reno that knows a good dealer that won't rip me off?

The guys in Reno are usually pretty firm... I used a shop in Winnemucca called Sonoma Cycles when I got my WR because nearer to me, they wanted retail... these guys gave it to us for 6k... but being a resident it was more like 6500 with tax... was it a great deal.... probably not... but it was the best deal i could get locally and they brought it to Reno for free... but here in the west that seems to be a good price.

Recently I used Micheals Cycle Works in Carson City for my 2005 YZ250... they were pretty cool with it... knocked off all the extra charges and gave it to me for 5999 and again, plus tax.

My wife actually bought them both for me (what a sweetie) so I never had a chance to haggle myself, but I thought they were still good deals... not great, but decent.