HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
s3706

powder coating

13 posts in this topic

While I have my bike tore apart to rebuild the crank I was thinking about getting the frame, sub frame and some other items powder coated. I was thinking either candy blue or candy red or maybe orange. What do you guys think? :cry:

Hey Dude,

I was in the same situation. You should really consider what kinda of graphics and plastics you are going to put on. I changed over my entire plastics to all white, with Black Excel rims, and Boner XGX graphics, and got my frame powder coated Metallic Gunship Gray...

I own a powder coating shop and have seen all on this frame. The candy blue is the best, but the candy red looks good too. The orange doesn't go with that bike to well. Also think about a metallic candy it looks awesome. If you need someone to do it let me know.

I actually ordered the Acerbis Kit or Plastics in a box. Although it didnt include the front number place, I also got that.

I think for a little more money you could nickel plate it and it would last forever. The powder coating does not last, at least not like I thought it would.

I have talked to the guys at custom powder coating in dallas. They said it will run me 200 - 250 for the frame and sub frame. Xtremepowder Where is your shop? How can I contact you?

Glendale Powder Coaters here in AZ $125 bucks out the door. He did my Frame, Sub frame, and Triple Clamp, and prob would have done my lower clamp also. Dropped the frame off on Friday, picked it up the following Friday.... The Owner Neal Welty did an awesome job on mine and I am very pleased!!

My shop is in Grand Prairie, TX. phone is (972)352-5230.

OK my powder-coating brethren...:cry:

Is there anyway to keep the frame serial numbers intact when prepping and painting the frame?

Or is this just a fact of life.

Any tips for getting it done? I'm dropping mine off tomorrow and my main concerns are getting grit in the oil tank and not being able to get it cleaned out.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!:cry:

It's cold here in Kansas.

Hey Bud,

Nothing special, just make them away that the frame itself hold oil internally. I left my lower "Oil Filter" in and had them tape around the nipple. I also left the lower drain bolt on the front in. Other than that, they will sand blast the entire thing and do everything else. Make sure you tap out the bearing races from the steering stem, dont need those with a coat on them. Other than that, when you get it back, if you have an air compressor, blow out thoroughly, I even ran gas through the oil system to help flush as much as possible, and thats it!!

Hey Bud,

Nothing special, just make them away that the frame itself hold oil internally. I left my lower "Oil Filter" in and had them tape around the nipple. I also left the lower drain bolt on the front in. Other than that, they will sand blast the entire thing and do everything else. Make sure you tap out the bearing races from the steering stem, dont need those with a coat on them. Other than that, when you get it back, if you have an air compressor, blow out thoroughly, I even ran gas through the oil system to help flush as much as possible, and thats it!!

Thanks very much.:cry:

Sounds like I communcated the right stuff to them. They said they do a lot of frames and had even done one or two that had the frame/oil tank like mine.

$125 complete and may be ready late tomorrow or Monday.....

Yes, you must keep those in tact. It is actually very easy, and a must for AMA racing. You will be disqualified if it is gone or powdered over with anything but clear, I know it has paint on it, but that is the way they do it. If you need more info, then call me at Xtreme Powder Coating (972)352-5230 Dave.