A YZ cam in a WR,make any difference?

I've hear some people talking about having replaced the cams in a WR with the ones from a YZ. have a misheard? it seems like it would make a big difference in low to mid range torque. has anyone done this moadification to their WR. if i was to do the mod, it'd be on an 05 WR450. whats the difficulty involved?

I'm running a YZ cam in my '04 and the power increase is substantial. Much stronger off the bottom all the way through. Having said that it can be a bit of a handful for the novice rider or on tight woods type trails as the bottom end hit is pretty substantial. I ride mostly desert XC and for that it is a great setup. Installation is really not much more difficult than adjusting the valves. In my case I didn't even have to reshim as the clearances were within tolerance. The manual has a pretty good description of the procedure. All in all highly recommended!

I'm running a YZ cam in my '04 and the power increase is substantial. Much stronger off the bottom all the way through. Having said that it can be a bit of a handful for the novice rider or on tight woods type trails as the bottom end hit is pretty substantial.

i wil;l 2nd that. seems to have allot more power everywhere. but the tire can spin up faster if your not ready for it.

I know Hotcams have some pretty nice products, from what my dealer (and good friend) tells me, YZ cams will for sure wake up the WR but it comes with a cost. For me, I can ride faster with better throttle control through tight sections, this is why Yamaha changed up the 450s to have a smoother power delivery as apposed to the abrupt power of the old 400s and 426s. Heck, Yamaha is even making their new YZs with a smoother and more manageable motor. If I was strictly racing motocross I would want abrupt power for exiting corners, I don't need that same power for offroad. Like I said, the YZ cams work well on the WRs but you loose throttle control at the same time.

Perfect example.... I YZ timed my old 426, before when it was WR timed I could ride a wheelie with the greatest of ease for a long time. When I YZ timed it, I had to fight the throttle to keep the front end in place and I no longer could wheelie the bike like I used to. Might seem like a dumb example but it showed me how much more throttle control a WR timed bike has, this directly applies to wheelspin and control when riding/racing offroad..

Only my opinion............

I have been considering it. But in all honesty, I had a YZ timed WR426 and it was much more violent in the hit. The WR is much easier to trail ride. But I like all that power to roost a yard of dirt at will.:cry: I have been looking into part numbers from Yamaha, the YZ cam (exhaust only, intakes are identical) is 5TA-12180-00-00 and it retails for $146.35. The WR camshaft (exhaust only) is 5TA-12180-10-00 and it retails for $196.32! These are both auto decompression cams for a 04 YZ/WR450, wonder why the YZ is much less.:cry: There was a myth about the timing chain having different pitch, they both have the same part number, so its just that, a myth. The chain retails for only $13.99! When my first valve adjust comes around, I just might have to have a YZ camshaft on hand. Hey, if I dont like it, I'm sure I can sell it here or on ebay!:cry: :cry:

I have been considering it. But in all honesty, I had a YZ timed WR426 and it was much more violent in the hit. The WR is much easier to trail ride. But I like all that power to roost a yard of dirt at will.:cry: I have been looking into part numbers from Yamaha, the YZ cam (exhaust only, intakes are identical) is 5TA-12180-00-00 and it retails for $146.35. The WR camshaft (exhaust only) is 5TA-12180-10-00 and it retails for $196.32! These are both auto decompression cams for a 04 YZ/WR450, wonder why the YZ is much less.:cry: There was a myth about the timing chain having different pitch, they both have the same part number, so its just that, a myth. The chain retails for only $13.99! When my first valve adjust comes around, I just might have to have a YZ camshaft on hand. Hey, if I dont like it, I'm sure I can sell it here or on ebay!:cry: :cry:

Hey, you can go to https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php & get that cam for $94.40. + S&H.:cry:

There was a myth about the timing chain having different pitch, they both have the same part number, so its just that, a myth.

The timing chain difference is between the 400/426 motors and the 450 motors. YZ and WR's of the same year model have always had the same timing chain.

I,ve got a 04 YZ450 cam I bought for my 99 400 before I found out they have different size chains. If anyone is interested I'll let it go for $80.00.

Manic

I,ve got a 04 YZ450 cam I bought for my 99 400 before I found out they have different size chains. If anyone is interested I'll let it go for $80.00.

Manic

:cry: Sounds like a sweet deal. Was it ever used? Or still new. I may have to take that off your hands!:cry: I'll PM you this evening. (at work now, shhhh)

Manic,

That cam WILL fit in your bike, its the same cam as the 03 that everybody fits to there 400/426's.

The cam is used, I bought it new and ran it for a short time, it worked great but like I said when I found out they had a different size chain, I didn't want to risk damaging my engine. I could send pictures if you wanted and I still have the original packaging.

Manic:thumbsup:

Looking at the part #'s, it looks like the 250 has a different chain also.

Manic:confused:

I did over 10,500 ks with my 450 cam, hows that for peice of mind ?

I just rotated my 99 WR400's cam to match the YZ specs and also did a number of mods like grey wire, throttle stop, and air box snorkle removle at the same time, and all i have to say is wow, what a difference, the thing has way more mid range to top end and great throttle response, i love it.