Front Axel guard screw: Is it needed?

I know the obvious answer but I'm wondering am I dumb for even attempting to ride without this screw going into the axel? The screw that I am referring to is the one that screws through the lower fork plastic protector and into the end of the front axel. Some how I managed to F' it up and cross threaded the screw into the axel. Hopefully I just need to track down a new screw, worse case I need a new axel :cry: I think I need to look at how I screw things cause this is the second screw that I've screwed up, the first being the stator screw.

Thanks for any advice.

Try & drink a little less coffee before working on your bike. :cry:

Seriously, I've learned (the hard way, of course :cry: ) to start threading EVERY bolt I touch gently to make sure it's not cross-threaded. If there's tons of thread-locking compound on the bolt, or whatever it screws into, clean them both up before reassembly.

& when all else fails, invest in a quality metric tap & die set. I know mine has saved me several times.

On my old 426 I twisted the head right off the same one you are referring to. I ran without it for many miles. However, it sure would suck if the front tire came off because of it. :cry:

Good advice thanks. It sucks when I try to be so careful with everything and every once in awhile just slip. I'd like to add that I cannot believe how much sand gets into every part on a bike. I won't be taking my bike out in the sand again that's for sure.

rdawg, You bring up a good point. That one bolt never seems to like being in the axle in the first place. It just doesn't go in or out like other bolts on the bike. I have always greased that bolt and don't tightend too much. It's almost like the two metals don't like each other. :cry:

rdawg, You bring up a good point. That one bolt never seems to like being in the axle in the first place. It just doesn't go in or out like other bolts on the bike. I have always greased that bolt and don't tightend too much. It's almost like the two metals don't like each other. :cry:

Glad I'm not the only one. It seems like a poor design to me I've never seen a screw going into the axel to help stabilize it. Is this standard on dirt bikes? It seems like there would be a better way to do what they are trying to do with that.

BTW-Are axels spendy or is it something that's pretty easy to get cheaply? I'm thinking worsed case scenario. I hate having things broke on my bike for any extended amount of time:thumbsup: Makes it looks bad when it's just sitting in the garage.

...Are axels spendy or is it something that's pretty easy to get cheaply? I'm thinking worsed case scenario. I hate having things broke on my bike for any extended amount of time:thumbsup: Makes it looks bad when it's just sitting in the garage.

Have you tried "chasing" the threads in the axle with a tap? You'll be suprised how many times you can clean up threads that appear "totally f**ked" by re-tapping them.

I haven't tried that Jack, I need to get a tap set. If it were a more serious part I would do the tap thing for sure. I'm sure it's just a matter of time..

The stock axle runs about 30 bucks, not too bad.

Glad I'm not the only one. It seems like a poor design to me I've never seen a screw going into the axel to help stabilize it. Is this standard on dirt bikes? It seems like there would be a better way to do what they are trying to do with that.
All the screw does is hold the plastic protector on.....it doesn't stabilize anything or hold the AXLE in :cry: . It's perfectly safe to ride without it......
All the screw does is hold the plastic protector on.....it doesn't stabilize anything or hold the AXLE in :cry: . It's perfectly safe to ride without it......

The way I justified them putting it there was to ensure that the front axel doesn't back itself out somehow, insurance I guess. I know it would'nt just fall out since there are a few support bolts that hold it in. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't assuming anything that I shouldn't have been. It's street legal and that last thing I want is to go riding down the road on my front forks :cry:

Thanks Rich that makes me feel better. I guess I should keep the empty screws holes to a minimum.