maxxcross SI !!!!!!

i was having some trouble finding a front tire that performed well in mud,muddy rocks,and rock all at the same time. i had tried the maxxis IT,great tire just sucks in the mud. tried the trelleborg maxi-grip great in the mud sucks on muddy rocks. some other people have rode my areas with s-12s,m-12, mt-18,756 etc and it was always one or the other none could do all of those well. i just put the SI on for tomorrows ride and rode it around the back 40,the front end feels like its glued to the ground(its rained here for 3 days !) it blows the trelleborg away in the mud and handles the rocks just like the IT !!! may have stumbled onto the perfect eastern woods tire. the back tire is due out this month, i'm gonna try one of those when my tenmaster wears out !!!:cry::cry::cry: will let you know how it works out on high speed trails after tomorrow.

Hey Bob, How deep are the knobs on this tire. Are they deep enough for mud? Let us know how they go at Brushy this weekend!:cry:

they are roughly the same as the trelleborg(almost the same pattern) but the difference is the side knobs are thick and don't flex at all where the trelle you can flex with your pinkie! i think thats where it will shine in the rocks its already outperforming the trelleborg in the mud (which we have alot of by the way!):cry:

I once had a SI on the back of my 426. Just make sure you stay away from that hardpack and rocks or it'll be toast in 5 min flat. My IT has done about 20 hours or every different terrain and is due for replacement.

I thought the SI was a new product just released by Maxxis.:cry:

it is brand new, the fronts only been out a couple months and the back has yet to hit the shelves(due out this month) maybe you mean the sur cross hamish?? all i got to say about the new SI front is "dude you gotta try this thing!!!" indy this tire does it all and almost too much traction in the mud if you can believe that!!! i was over compensating for what i thought would wash out and almost wrecked tryin to get used to the new found control,it made the steering heavier almost as if i added a damper!(guess cuz it stuck so good) followed any line at will and it was twice as muddy at brushy as usual. rocks what rocks tracked right over some of the muddiest clay covered crap i'd seen in a long time. roots same thing ,muddy roots just like they were dry. i've not ridden it on anything dry yet but i really don't see any problems. man i haven't been this excited about any tire i've used in my 30+ years of riding...:cry: maxxis hit a homer with this thing!!!:cry::thumbsup:

I guess I will order a front and try it.:cry: Thanks Bob!:cry:

Was definately an SI. I actually wanted a IT when I got it, but there were none in the country in 18's. Supply in our convict nation is sometimes pretty crap :cry: I got a pre release tyre, and had to fill out a tyre test form and send it back to the importer. It's good when your mate owns MX a ascessory shop :cry:

well o.k. pre-release info!! gotta love it. so how did the SI rear handle in the muddy rock situations,and just plain mud. here in the eastern U.S. there is very little hardpack to worry about (at least where i ride) the maxxis rep. told me it is the same compound as the IT,same carcass design also. the front is awesome for my conditions,shows no wear at all after 60 miles of muddy rock strewn trail. did you try the front hamish?? and having used the IT, i agree fully that it is better suited for desert/hardpack conditions.:cry:

I am looking forward to hear how it handles the hardpack and rocks. I have an IT on my 250F and overall I like it, especially the wear. I found it OK in mud but I only have the stock 739s to compare it to.

The rear IT is due for a replacement so maybe the SI will be it.

I rode with the Maxxis SI front this weekend, and it kicked butt! It has been raining here in AZ for 2 weeks so the dirt was perfect, awesome hook up! We will see next weekend when it dries out, I hope it lasts longer then the IT front. The IT in rocks wears out in the first ride here in the desert.

let us know how it works in the dry,i won't see"dry" again t'ill summertime! as a soft to intermediate tire the SI is a little out of its element in the dry rocky desert (i think IT or HT might be a better choice) but it would be interesting to see just how well it does! but the hook up on it is nothing short of amazing!!! :cry: the compound is (according to the maxxis rep.) the same as the IT and it has less knobs so i can only figure its gonna wear faster under the same conditions.

The closest I saw to mud was only a inch deep (hard base) and it had good drive there. Seemed to also have good drive in the sand (once again, shallow sand on a hard base). The problem we have here is in one ride it'll go from sand berms to mud holes to hardpack to gravel hillclimbs. Hence i've given up trying to find the perfect tyre for any one condition and just use the IT which doesnt perform well in anything but hardpack, but lasts for ever :cry: The front is a different story. As soon as the front hits anything that resembles mud the WR turns into a grader :cry:

let us know how it works in the dry,i won't see"dry" again t'ill summertime! as a soft to intermediate tire the SI is a little out of its element in the dry rocky desert (i think IT or HT might be a better choice) but it would be interesting to see just how well it does! but the hook up on it is nothing short of amazing!!! :cry: the compound is (according to the maxxis rep.) the same as the IT and it has less knobs so i can only figure its gonna wear faster under the same conditions.

I'm not a fan of the IT Maxxis front. It pushes way to bad in the dry hard pack/rocky stuff. Plus the side knobs fall off after two rides in rocks. The best tire we have found in the m12, but the side walls are WAY to soft, and cause too many flat tires, even with a Bidgestone Ultra heavy duty tube. So far there has been a few riders I ride with that have used the SI in the hard pack, and have no complaints. But as it dries out here in the next week, I'll post more.

I find the M12 to be a great intermediate tire but the MT18HD is very similar with a very stiff sidewall!:cry: Both stink in nasty mud. Both work great on hardpack and rocks.:cry: I am trying the SI for a soft/intermeidate set up and I will stick to the MT18HD for intermediate to hard. It is so nice to have 2 sets of wheels!:cry:

Recently bought the SI front and IT Desert rear without really knowing anything about these tires. I just liked the price, both for under $100. The tread pattern on both look really aggressive, especially the rear. I'll put them both on for the first Big 6 gp race in Taft, thats So. Cal. Will let you know how I like them.

...The problem we have here is in one ride it'll go from sand berms to mud holes to hardpack to gravel hillclimbs...

This sounds exactly like the conditions where I do most of my riding (St. Joe State Park, Park Hills, MO).

If one of you guys local to me, or anyone else who rides in similar conditions has suggestions on tire selection, I'd love to hear them.