what chain do you run?

I just picked up my '02 YZ426 & everything on it is original stock. Hasn't seen much use, so it's all in good condition - but the chain sure seemed flimsy & showed some wear despite the sprockets looking good. A bunch of you mentioned that the stock chain is "tin-foil" in another thread I posted.

So now the question becomes - what chain should I run? I'm doing mostly desert/trail riding.

I am using a Regina O-ring chain right now and it is wearing well. I'll be putting a new Moose O-ring chain on for an upcoming trip to Baja.

IIRC it's 520 and about 112 ~ 114 links (I just buy the 120 links and cut down)

I had a Rental non-oring chain and it lasted for years. The only reason I changed it the other day was because I had to change the sprokets. Now I have a Regina Z-ring chain.

520 120 link D.I.D. ERT Gold chain. :cry:

EK 520MRD chain. It has holes in all of the sideplates, :cry: it is much lighter than most other chains, been running it on ironman sprockets for 6 months and NO Visible wear! :cry::cry: And I ride twice every week.

D.i.d. Erv2

Regina's premium Gold O-ring chain. The most unstretchable, indestructible chain I've ever seen, including the DID X-ring. :cry::cry:

DID 520 MX Strongest non-o-ring they make! :cry:

Regina's premium Gold O-ring chain. The most unstretchable, indestructible chain I've ever seen, including the DID X-ring. :cry::cry:

I ran the Regina gold O-ring on my 426 and did not have to adjust the chain from June-December!! And I rode it almost every weekend !

:cry:

D.i.d. Erv2

wear index is very high and it has like an 8400 lb tensile strength, this will be my next chain.

Tensile strength, as well as wear index, is a marketing ploy.

Granted, if the tensile strength is rated high then the chain will be made of quality metal. However, the wear index of a chain is completely dependant on the care you give your chain and sprockets. (keep in mind that a 500cc 2-stroke can create about 1800-2000 lbs of pull on a good day...why do you need 10,000lbs of tensile strength?)

If you tend to neglect proper chain and sprocket maintenance, then you should choose a chain that allows you to ride for a good while without doing much of anything..ie a ring chain.

But, if you perform proper adjustments, cleaning, and lubrication you can enjoy even higher wear life from a standard chain than you can get out of a top-shelf ring chain.

Once a ring chain has consumed the factory placed lubricant, it is on a downhill slide that you can do nothing about, save for watch it grow and deform your sprocket teeth.

But with a standard chain that is taken good care of, you can see it's life go past that of a top quality ring chain. Due mainly to the fact that you can continue to provide it with fresh lubrication.

I currently use an EK 520 MRDG on my 444F. It has been a very good chain that is built with close tolerences. On sloppy/muddy rides, I mount up an RK XSO ring chain.

If money is no object and you want the maximum wear life, then the DID ERV2 is THE way to go! You''ll need a rivet tool to install it. The DID VM x-ring is also a great chain.

Once a ring chain has consumed the factory placed lubricant, it is on a downhill slide that you can do nothing about, save for watch it grow and deform your sprocket teeth.

But with a standard chain that is taken good care of, you can see it's life go past that of a top quality ring chain. Due mainly to the fact that you can continue to provide it with fresh lubrication.

I disagree. Not from a theory perspective but real world experience. I have never had a regular chain last and resist stretching like the Regina O-Ring I had on my 426. I have used DID, RK, Renthal, Regina and this is the best chain by far. I currently have an RK GB520MXZ3 on my 05 YZ250 however it only has one ride on it.

DID ert gold chain

Tensile strength, as well as wear index, is a marketing ploy.

Granted, if the tensile strength is rated high then the chain will be made of quality metal. However, the wear index of a chain is completely dependant on the care you give your chain and sprockets. (keep in mind that a 500cc 2-stroke can create about 1800-2000 lbs of pull on a good day...why do you need 10,000lbs of tensile strength?)

If you tend to neglect proper chain and sprocket maintenance, then you should choose a chain that allows you to ride for a good while without doing much of anything..ie a ring chain.

But, if you perform proper adjustments, cleaning, and lubrication you can enjoy even higher wear life from a standard chain than you can get out of a top-shelf ring chain.

I currently use an EK 520 MRDG on my 444F. It has been a very good chain that is built with close tolerences. On sloppy/muddy rides, I mount up an RK XSO ring chain.

I agree completely with Digilude, I just keep my chain clean and lubed and I have only adjusted it twice in 6 months. And I ride a lot. My dad on the other hand does not ride much, and the other day we noticed that one of the o-rings was gone on his o-ring chain. Now it will wear that link much faster than the others. and eventually toast the sprocket. I also use the ek mrd chain:thumbsup:

torn or missing orings are typically from improper cleaning and maintenance.

I disagree. Not from a theory perspective but real world experience. I have never had a regular chain last and resist stretching like the Regina O-Ring I had on my 426. I have used DID, RK, Renthal, Regina and this is the best chain by far.
:cry::thumbsup: I have never had ANY chain last and resist stretching like the Regina O-Ring!

BTW, the top of the line Renthal Gold R1 IS a Regina Gold. It just costs $15-$20 more with the Renthal brand on it.

anyone have any experience with the CZ o-ring chain available from W.E.R. ?? $79 made in czekoslovakia?

No, but if the quality is anything like that of the motorcycles that company once built, it should be almost indestructible.

i'm gonna give it a try,will let everyone know how it works. you can't beat that old world quality!:cry: