Rim Lock?

It keeps the dirt tire from spinning on the rim. That would seriously rip your inner tube apart...and the whole not moving forward might be an issue.

Street bikes will spin out on pavement. But dirt tires with knobs...can actually grip and spin on the rim. This prevents it from happening.

All the answers are right, plus for the enduro/trail riders : It gives you the opportunity to ride back on flat tires. Very slowly, with tires that have protective sidewall for the rims. They exceed the width of the rim a little so it prevents contact with the ground, sometime.

It's better to have a spare tube. ?

I removed one of the rimlocks on my WR and no problems. XR 650 only comes with one rimlock and it is the torque monster so I figured the WR could get by with only one.

Same here.

Been running only one rim lock on my WR and no problems at all. ?

It's a major pain to change tires with these things. ?

All the answers are right, plus for the enduro/trail riders : It gives you the opportunity to ride back on flat tires. Very slowly, with tires that have protective sidewall for the rims. They exceed the width of the rim a little so it prevents contact with the ground, sometime.

It's better to have a spare tube. ?

Or to install ultra heavy duty tube to prevent flats----I haven't had on yet! knock on wood!