Xr650l ????

You know those huge wings for air on the motor? I am thinking of taking those off. Have you guys done that and do I need them on there or will it heat up? thanks

I would say it deppends where you ride, if its mainly street or higher speeds (not city stop and go) then you might be fine without them but if you are riding alot slow speeds at high loads like dirt or just sitting at traffic lights then I would leave them on to give the engine any air it can get while it moves.

I have the IMS tank and no flaps. The bigger tank makes up probably 50% for the loss of those air catching ears :cry:

Any cooling you steal goes towards a shorter engine live I would say.

Well just my opinion...

Detlef

from what guys with thermometer dipsticks say, they actually tend to run hot during highway use, not off-road ... anyway, lose the wings if you want,, the XR600s never had them, no overheating while winning a lot of Baja races ...

from what guys with thermometer dipsticks say, they actually tend to run hot during highway use, not off-road ... anyway, lose the wings if you want,, the XR600s never had them, no overheating while winning a lot of Baja races ...

Hmm, thats the total opposite I would have expected... maybe highway does load it more than just those short rev-ups with less air flow.

You think those wings are total design and non technical reason? I wouldn't say because the 600s never had them that those don't feed a purpose. Anyway, like I said just opinion, nothing backed up :cry:

Hehehe, you probably need to find the Honda engineer who put them on to get the real reason or at least find out which department he was working in :cry:

Det

Take them off they dont do much other than add weight and just another thing to break when you lay it over. :cry:

If you are rejetting so that your carb actually gets some gas, it should run cooler as well, thereby obviating the need for the stupid things. I rejetted, pulled them off, and haven't had any heating problems. I just installed a thermo dipstick and will post some temp data when I ring out the bike this weekend at Jawbone.

thanks, I agree I don't think they do a bit of good but cool at high speeds. Very good point the xrr doesn't have them so they are gone, stoopid feaken wings, I know they look better with out them. Next is the television set tail light. :cry:

I've installed the A.H. Maclaughlin's low profile taillight. Check out the pics on my website...it is seriously sano..

Just one option :cry:

The wings were added by the marketing department, not the engineering department! :cry:

I've installed the A.H. Maclaughlin's low profile taillight. Check out the pics on my website...it is seriously sano..

James, sweet bike! That thing looks sharp!...Glad to see new bars (dampner and trpl clamp too) are on the way. Good thing you didn't lean it against the wall and bend those puppies (a shame they don't upgrade oem bar specs :cry: ).

Two questions: 1.) How do you like those Ken Sean mirrors, and (2) is that taillight bright enough to be safe and visible at night?

Thanks for the shots! :cry:

I tried removing the wings after re-jetting (and etc.) and while I had a thermometer dipstick.

The wings off had the biggest difference at moderate speeds- 30-45 mph.

The huge front fender probably creates a nice big 'bow-wave' at those speeds, and above that the air is moving 'fast enough' to break through.

Aerodynamics can be funny, but I can assure you the wings were NOT put on by the marketing department.

Dave

Very nice lookin pig you got james :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I wish mine looked that nice and clean lol :cry:

Im doin some more mods to mine this winter edelbrock pumper carb, white brothers header, and a tailinght like yours.

Check out my garage

Hey Dave,

did the temp rise at speeds between 30-45? And if you say "tried" removing them, did you decide to put them back on because the temperature increase?

I don't have them anymore because of my IMS tank, but I am interested in your expirience!!! Especially because I think the IMS tank doesn't completely make up for those if they were not put on by the marketing/design department...

Det

I don't know how much they actually help but I have had mine off for years, with a lot of my riding being primarily off road tight trails, (low speed) and have had no ill effects to the engine. I did have some problems with the engine getting hot and throtle response disappearing with a deep "bwahhhh" sound (not trying to be funny here) while the wings were still on it. The cure was smog removal, rejet, and most importantly for my bike was the aftermarket exhasut. Next time you are at the dealer compare the diameter of the exhaust outlet hole on the 650 to the CRF 70 and there is ridiculously little difference. That translates to backpressure and heat staying in the engine not to mention lost performance.:cry:

I know this seems to make absolutely no sense at all , but my local Honda dealer, who has really been around the block with Hondas, says the "wings" were added years ago to pass emissions tests, that it wouldnt pass the CA mfg. regs without them ... ??? whatever ... dump 'em

dumped:worthy: thankyou

If you have dumped them, any chance you would let go of one of them or both? Just curious.

Two questions: 1.) How do you like those Ken Sean mirrors, and (2) is that taillight bright enough to be safe and visible at night?

Thanks for the kudos, craft. The mirrors on the site pics are stock...haven't taken a pic of the bike since installing the Ken Sean on the left side only. It is good..not much fuziness, the whole thing swivels on its own post, and the tension on the swivel ball is adjustable(important!). It obviously isn't as good as a nice street mirror, but for my 90 dirt/10 street, it is fine. I bought this instead of a swivel that you can use with the stock mirror because it is lower, smaller, and more sano.

The taillight is pretty bright, and the brakelight further yet. I am able to see both during the day easily in videos taken of me when riding. Safe? My last pure street bike was a GSXR 1100...on the 650L I feel like one big unstable dirt bike target, regardless of any equipment.:cry: It works, and I use it, but you would have to see if it is worth it for your type of riding. If I rode a lot on the street, I wouldn't use it.....but then I would have bought a street bike.

Cheers

Very nice lookin pig you got james :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I wish mine looked that nice and clean lol :cry:

Im doin some more mods to mine this winter edelbrock pumper carb, white brothers header, and a tailinght like yours.

Check out my garage

Thanks Misfit...it isn't often that clean....gotta take pics when I can! No self respecting dirt bike is that clean so it doesn't usually look like that...:lol:

Mods sound good...I am watching the results from folks who install the pumper...maybe install this year. Let us know how it goes..

Thanks for the point to the garage...I'll check it out:cool:

James

XR_DET, yes, I put 'em back on because it ran hotter without 'em at about the 30-45 range.

Tight trails, high-speed, was about the same with or without.

Of course, I'm 220lbs before gear, so I make the pig work hard!

Dave