Intro to TT and the biking world

Hi I'm new here if you didn't catch it in the title and I'm buying my first real motorcycle. As a kid I got to ride all of my friends bikes, but could never afford one. I had a mini bike though that satisfied the itch ok back then. I'm looking at a used 1999 WR400 and wondered if you guys had any suggestions as to the questions I should be asking or any particular defects that I should be looking for.

I've read a ton on this forum and can't find anyone really complaining about the bike, but had to ask before I go spend some hard earned $$$.

Thanks,

Tim

WR400 is a great bike. Dont pay more than $1,000. for it and make sure it runs and you can kick start it with the owners guidance. :cry:

...and make sure it runs and you can kick start it with the owners guidance. :cry:

Excellent advice. You need to be able to start it when it's dead cold and when it's red hot because you are it once you ride off into the sunset.

Always check your oil & coolant levels, tire pressure, spoke tension and be on the lookout for any loose bolts. Also, run premium pump gas and change the spark plug every 40-50 hours or every season. Other than that, get ready to hang on tight. :cry:

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'll be able to pick up one for anything less than about $3000, is that too high?

I began a search and that seems to be on the high side price for for a 6 year old dirt bike. I saw a 1999 YZ400 listed for $1,700 and a 1999 yz400 listed for $1,100. but needed some head work. IMO it is a crazy market! You can buy an 03 yz450 for $3,400. Be smart with your money but I would never pay that for a 6 year old bike. :cry:

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I'll be able to pick up one for anything less than about $3000, is that too high?

Is that bone stock? Or, does it have lots of aftermarket items and mods done to it? That seems pretty steep. I'd be checking into newer bikes for that much cash.

As far as the California market, I've never seen a WR or YZ go for less than $2k. With some shopping, you should be able to find a clean 98-00 for around $2500. I paid $2400 for mine with a dual sport kit, plated for the street and feel like I got a good deal. Maybe in other parts of the country it's cheaper but not here. Good luck, as long as you feel okay with the purchase then it's a good deal.

The bike I'm looking at has a Power Bomb header, FMF Q pipe, and Power Now twin air power filter kit, newer sprocket and chain, 50% rear tire 75% front. Sounds like he kept good care of it. It's on e-bay so I'm even more skeptical about it. The biggest problem is I'm frothing at the mouth to get out there and ride.

I bought my bike off Ebay from a guy in Phoenix, AZ and I'm in San Diego and it worked out great. He gave an accurate description and was very helpful. If you buy off Ebay, just be sure to ask any questions you may have and if the seller isn't responsive then don't bid.

The bike I'm looking at has a Power Bomb header, FMF Q pipe, and Power Now twin air power filter kit, newer sprocket and chain, 50% rear tire 75% front. Sounds like he kept good care of it. It's on e-bay so I'm even more skeptical about it. The biggest problem is I'm frothing at the mouth to get out there and ride.

Not sure what part of Cali you're in, but I did a quick search on Cycle Trader.com and found this link: http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/0/1/77442201.htm Could be sold already, but I'd check it out. This one looks clean and is DS'd!

i could sell my 98 wr 400 for 2500 easily around here.

Good luck in your search

Thanks for the heads up on the bike in Chino, I'm in Folsom (near Sacramento) and thats a bit far for the price difference. And thanks for the relative costs elsewhere. The California Green Sticker crap makes things a bit more complicated.

And, TT is an awesome board. Everybody has given just the information I've needed. Thanks again.

It all depends on the condition. I bought my 99 in 2003 for $3200. It was in near perfect condition. Anyone here that has ridden with me could probably confirm that. That same year, I sold a 96 XR250L (did I mention it was an "L" version not an "R". It was in mediocre shape at best and went for $1800.

I would say anywhere from $2100-$2500 if in very good condition. They have proven to be very good performing and reliable bikes. Hop up parts are plentyful.