Canadian, riding a WR in the USA

This coming motorcycle season I'm going to try to work part time to accommodate a few long road trips to go riding. one of them being to "see the USA from 2 wheels". Oregon, CO, moab, nor cal, Mexico and what ever else is, "on the way "

my questions is, what am i going to need to ride my bike in OHV/public land parks in the USA? my current bike is a 2004 WR450, BC plated ,a stock CDN pipe with no insert.

will the green sticker/red sticker affect me if I'm BC road legal with plate?

will i have to run some sort of insert in my pipe?

will me and "friend" be harassed for camping in the back woods?

what spots should we "not miss"?

how long will the US immigration let me "bum around" as a dirt biking tourist?

shooting for September for about 40-50 days

thx

shooting for September for about 40-50 days

Wow and I thought I was a riding nut with 14 day trips! :cry::cry::cry:

40 to 50 days of riding in one trip! :cry:

Talk about being an Ironman ( or even an Iron butt):cry:

i plan on being in the USA for about 7 weeks. then another 7 in Mexico.

and I'm not riding every day or on the highway. i don't have an iron butt or the right bike for that trip. I'm going in a 2wd truck with a friend, 2 bikes in the back................

your right though, it is ambiguous to take a trip like that with no other goal then to ride :cry:

Simon, just south of you in Washington, if you have a road plate and your road legal (equipment wise) you can ride that bike anywhere in the state including off road areas. About the only place you cant ride wopuld be private land without permission! :cry:

If you come to California, your Canadian plate will probably keep you out of trouble. I cruised around with my Canadian bought WR and a Vermont plate for almost 2 years without getting hassled. There is also a California "Out Of State" offroad sticker to be purchased for about $20USD (Good for a year), but you probably won't need it. The noise factor may be an issue. 96db max here in CA.

Most states have good Motor Vehicle websites. You should check them out for info.

About the only place you cant ride would be private land without permission

sweet. that means i can ride in a park :cry:

how much $$ is a noise violation ticket?

Your biggest problem will be your Canadian exhaust pipe.

It's not stamped with a "Approved USFS spark arrestor" mark anywhere on the muffler.

No spark arrestor is a big issue with the Forest Rangers in the lower 48 States.

If you ask real nice some TT brothers might be able to hook you up with a US Spec muffler they took off their machine and are not using anymore.

my Canadian exhaust does have a massive 30cm long spark arrestor in it but it doesn't say "us fs approved". but that can easily be changed :cry: . thank you for the heads up on that one. i hadn't even tough of that.

how much is a noise violation fine?

sweet. that means i can ride in a park :cry:

how much $$ is a noise violation ticket?

Yes, if road legal cars are allowed, so it your road legal dirbike. Noise may be an assue, stock setup is fine I'll bet! :cry:

are you sure? my stock CDN pipe is quite loud. same as the AU pipe. minimal baffles and no insert.

as for riding in a park, non OHV {city park} i was kidding. i know you cant ride in there.

For what it is worth, Last year I moved to Massachusetts for a couple of months for my job and carried the bike with me. The requirement were the same as in Québec to ride on the street legally. (mirrors, blinkers...the whole kit) and I hear Mass is one of the most exigent state.

I don't know if there was any special requirements for offroad riding though.

Math

i plan on being in the USA for about 7 weeks. then another 7 in Mexico.

and I'm not riding every day or on the highway. i don't have an iron butt or the right bike for that trip. I'm going in a 2wd truck with a friend, 2 bikes in the back................

your right though, it is ambiguous to take a trip like that with no other goal then to ride :cry:

If you go t mexico take lots of cash, there are corrupt MERFERS down there. they will pull you over, telly ou if you dont give them 200 bucks they will throw you in jail and you will never see your bike again. I have heard of that happening. Just so you know

are you sure? my stock CDN pipe is quite loud. same as the AU pipe. minimal baffles and no insert.

as for riding in a park, non OHV {city park} i was kidding. i know you cant ride in there.

Well, you can, but you do have to stay on the apshalt obey all traffic signs. Couldnt roost through the lawns etc. :cry::cry:

i am going to Mexico. and I'm not afraid.

I'm more afraid of travel in the USA then in Mexico. :cry:

If you go to a US Forest Service Station and dissassemble the exhaust you should be able to get A USFS inspection sticker for your NON USFS spark arrestor, it will become an approved. It is very similar to having the Chain saw appoved for cutting firewood. I'll have to do the same here in California until I replace.

IronMAnC

September is the end of the season for the high country in Colorado. I recommend the USGS topographical series of maps for each state you plan to ride. They're available in book form. Your plated scoot should get you by just fine. I've ridden my plated dirt bikes in Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and New Mexico with no cop stops.