HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
terrymc

Gearing a 426 for Baja

6 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm looking for a good gearing for a 01 426 for cruising around Baja. I'd like to have my gearing pretty optimal for sustained speeds in the 60 ~ 70 MPH range.

I'm thinking of using 15/48, thoughts? Has anyone else run that gearing for that type of riding?

I think 15/50 is real popular for the WR450 out west. TT member Blireef runs that in La Paz, Baja. I would say 15/48 is pretty good choice! :cry:

You should have no problems with that set up, I used that back in May when I was down there and was cruising on my 426.

Thanks for the input, I ordered 15/48 for the trip.

WRSTEVE, how did you manage all of your belongings for the trip? Were you supported by a truck or did you carry all of your gear on the bike?

We are going for the dirtbag carry all you crap type trip. Fenderbags, backpacks and packing light.

Thanks for the input, I ordered 15/48 for the trip.

WRSTEVE, how did you manage all of your belongings for the trip? Were you supported by a truck or did you carry all of your gear on the bike?

We are going for the dirtbag carry all you crap type trip. Fenderbags, backpacks and packing light.

There were six of us, with a GPS , and a map, no support truck. We carried all our belongings with hiking style back packs and I remember one rider had one of those Pro moto billet rack that mounts in the back. http://www.promotobillet.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=42 I personally used a large back pack. When I go again, I will buy that PMB Rack and strap my pack to that. I used my WR426 in stock form, 4 days 780+ miles and had no problems.

Side note: Spend the extra time and money and put in the thickest tubes you can find as well as new tires. Always have extra tubes especially the front, because you can use a front tube in the rear if needed.