HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PimpdYZ

YZ450 - KYB Fork Oil Change?

2 posts in this topic

I have a strange noise coming from my 03 KYB forks when I near the top of the stroke. :cry: I compress the forks, then pull up and in the last inch or so in makes sort of a click sound....like there isnt enough oil. Is this NORMAL??

I was going to do an oil change anyway, but have no experience with these forks. Any tips or techniques that you can share would be helpful in making it a successful job.

What weight oil comes stock??

It does sound like they might be low. But check the steering head bearing for being tight enough, too.

YZF forks come with 5wt fork oil. Use a hydraulic fork oil, NOT any kind of engine oil. Dexron II or III will also work. It's a little heavier at 7.5 wt.

You'll need about a quart if you're planning to set the level at 120-130 and you don't spill any.