HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mattheww

'03 WR450 cam mod

3 posts in this topic

I just bought this bike a couple months ago and have done all the free mods and a JD Jetting kit. I'm used to my old '96 RM250 W/10oz flywheel weight, so the WR450 seems pretty mild even though it has a lot more torque. I'm thinking about trying either the YZ cam or a Hot Cam. Which has the best mid/top end? Anyone have any links to a site that shows how to swap the cams? Will I have to adjust the valves any or is it just an easy swap?

Thanks, Matt.

I'm running a YZ cam in my '04 WR450 and a Hot Cams exhaust cam in my '01 WR426. I think to get any real benefit out of the Hot Cams you need to buy the set (i.e. - intake & exhaust). That being said I think you'd be very happy with the YZ cam. It really wakes up the WR though it's not for the timid or probably the woods as the power curve has a pretty big hit. IMO it's a great setup for desert riding. The clearances were in spec at install so I didn't have to reshim.

Yes I have heard that the Hot cams is the set up for most engine builders on the YZ450 s and they use and adjustable sprocket for timing set up. :cry: