F.Y.I. Fram Oil filters at Walmart

a few years ago, Consumer Reports tested automotive oil filters, and picked FRAM as the best aftermarket filter ... BUT ... the next issue retracted that, since they discovered FRAM had sneaked specially-built filters to them for testing ... the off-the-shelf filters were determined to be the shoddiest construction available ... WIX is almost always chosen as the BEST filter out there in assortd tests ... you can find them at your NAPA parts store ... their house-brand filters (NAPA Gold) are WIX ... don't skimp on something as important as a filter ...

Never install a Fram on anything! P.O.S period! Nice color. Why don't you try the Wal-Mart Equal for about $3.00 (may have been less) Made by Champion Industries (Not Spark Plug Co.) Same company that makes Mobile 1 and Bosch Filters. Much better filter media and steel parts not cardboard. ?

? Screw ? f%$# wallmart buy your filter anywhere but wallmart ? Mike Kay that sux man i ,as well as many, many ,others applaude you for your efforts best of luck in the future, I will be more than happy to ride with you in the future.......Ride red.......????

I saw the same thing. You can also get this Fram filter at Kragen/Checkers for about $3.50. After buying a fram one time I'm sticking with the Honda filter. The Fram looks adequate but the Honda looks a lot better for about $5.00 at the dealer.

Only 5 bucks for the honda?? man the local honda dealer rapes us around here for 7-8 bucks each (depends on the mood and if you get him or his daughter)

? Screw? f%$# wallmart buy your filter anywhere but wallmart :D Mike Kay that sux man i ,as well as many, many ,others applaude you for your efforts best of luck in the future, I will be more than happy to ride with you in the future.......Ride red....... ????

I live in the middle of nowhere and may have missed something but what is wrong with wal-mart? All that we have to choose from is wal-mart or kmart. Kmart here sucks bad so that leaves us with wal-mart. :D?

i work at napa and my friends and me have been using the napa gold filters for couple of years now and nobody has ever had an oil filter problem the number is 4944

changed on a regular time schedule and you wont have problems i would say that is not changing it regularly cant be blamed on the filter they cost me 3.90 with tax i change about every 5 rides about 20 hours depending on the rides and i use napa 10w30 oil also still i have never had any problems going on 2 years

• 5 years later...

Oil filters are one of those things that you never really know what you're getting.

I prefer using an oil filter that's branded with the name of the manufacturer. I"ll buy Wix, Purolator, or K&N. I have run Fram, but try to avoid it when ever possible.

I only used a Fram motorcycle filter once and never again. When it came time to change the oil after I used the Fram, the filter came completely apart. The glue holding the metal plates on had completely failed and the plates came loose.

I was using the Napa filters, but they seem to have changed manufactuer. The old ones came from Israel or somewhere similar, the new ones are from China are built cheaper. The old Napa filters had a rubber or silicon relief valve and the Chinese ones are just metal to metal. I don't like the internal construction of the Chinese ones either because the spring tower for the relief valve is far more intrusive and look like it would restrict flow. Whether it does or not, I don't know, I just don't like the look of it. If all the aftermarket manufactuers go to Chinese made junk, I'll start buying Honda filters again.

I work in the automotive aftermarket industry. All the names are just that names. The name Fram has been bought and sold several times over the years. These days a lot of stuff in manufactured in China.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but WIX has pretty much always been good. Purolater is not too bad either. Fram? Not so much.

I just put in a wix . made in Poland. Did not like the way it installed. it was loose on post , so it was hard to keep in place when putting cover on. I'm leary of Fram also, but have used them. Dont know how effective they are. Maybe its time to invest in the SS reusable style? I usually change oil often & change filter approx every 3rd time.

Although this thread started from a reply to a 5 year old post, it seems oil filters haven't change much in the last five years, and peoples opinion on oil filters haven't change much either.

Fram blows chunks, Wix and Purolater still popular, and you can't go wrong with a OEM filter.

It also looks like most of us are willing to pay a few bucks more on the price of an oil filter to get a decent filter.

Edited by t_bois

I really didn't want to get in a 5 year old thread, but...

I've used Fram filters for years and put 160k miles on my wifes car, 180k on my oldest daughters car and there is 130k on my youngest daughters car. I don't think it is because of the fram filter, but I don't think the fram hurt them either. I have been picking up mopar or Purlator lately, but not for any particular reason.