HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
simpledog

A couple of questions

14 posts in this topic

On a lark, I bought a YZF 426. This muther is a beast to start. What's the trick? Do I pull the red know out a bit? I know about the compression release, etc.

Also, where is the oil drain plug, under the bottom guard?

Lastly, it leaks a little water from a little hole, obviously a factory hole on the bottom of the engine, is this normal?

Well the red knob is a hot start lever. That lever is so when your bike is hot or flooded, you pull that lever out and it sends a lean mixture. The black knob next to it is the choke knob. Use this when the bike is cold.

There are two oil drain plugs (not sure about the 426 but possible the same) Tehre is one on the bottom of the oil tank, which is on the frame. The engine drain bolt is right under the shifter lever, a little to the left of it. Both of these bolts are 12mm socket heads.

-Phill

the water from the hole means your waterpump shaft is leaking where the seal rides. common problem,and you should replace the shaft and seal asap. and the 450 cams with auto decomp would eliminate the starting dance you have to do with the 426 :cry:

kick the bike over slowly until you come up to tdc and then give it a good hard kick and it should start right up ! :cry:

Bring the bike up on the compression stroke. You will feel the kickstarter get hard to move. If the bike has a manual compression release, pull in the lever and push the kickstarter down just a bit. Allow the kickstarter to recoil and kick the bike over just like any other bike. If the bike has not been started in a while, you may need a throttle blip to get some fuel into it.

Just replace the water pump seal. That red knob is the hot start. You use that instead of the choke when it is hard to start after a stall or fall while it is hot. The oild drain plug is under the glide plate. The best starting proceder for when it is cold:

-Kick the bike over 20 times while holding the decompression lever.

-pull choke

-give two blips on the throttle

-release decompression lever, kick the kick start till it stops (TDC)

-pull decompression lever and kick it 1 inch

-let go of the decompression lever and bring the kick strat back to the top

-kick it as hard as you can

If it wont start do this over and over again:

-kick the kick start till it stops (TDC)

If it is hot and you stall or fall do this if you think it is not flooded:

-kick the kick start till it stops (TDC)

If it is flooded do this:

-Kick the bike over 20 times while holding the decompression lever.

-pull hot start

-release decompression lever, kick the kick start till it stops (TDC)

If it wont start after 10 tries something is wrong. Like, fouled plug, idle is off, jetting is bad, out of gas.

When jetted properly it should start first or second kick every time. This is the best procedure!

the water from the hole means your waterpump shaft is leaking where the seal rides. common problem,and you should replace the shaft and seal asap. and the 450 cams with auto decomp would eliminate the starting dance you have to do with the 426 :cry:

Why in the hell do you need to replace the impeller shaft?

Why in the hell do you need to replace the impeller shaft?

I think he is referring to the fact that the water pump seal can sometimes wear a groove in the impeller shaft (the seal is fairly stiff, particularly in colder areas, until the bike reaches full operating temperature), and replacing ONLY the seal in cases like that, you'll still have a leak. From what i've read on TT, a few guys here have replaced multiple seals and shafts.....

yes,the shaft is not that expensive and unless there is no groove worn in it (i'll bet there is)you should replace it while your in there! thats why in the hell :cry: and i can't believe more of you 426 owners aren't using the auto decomp cams. i have removed my starter and solely depend on the kicker,the thing rolls over like an xr200!!! :cry:

and i can't believe more of you 426 owners aren't using the auto decomp cams. i have removed my starter and solely depend on the kicker,the thing rolls over like an xr200!!! :cry:

yet we still see the occasional "how can I put electric start on my YZ450" posts!! LOL :cry::cry::cry:

that starter set up is crap!! its not worth the extra 13.5 lbs it adds to the bike. even with it on i was finding myself using the kicker half the time anyway. with the rekluse set up i don't ever stall anymore(even in a wreck) if yamaha had any brains they would make the starter a dealer option on both bikes(yz/wr) that way they would please everyone! :cry: