Wr450 Vs. Wr250

:cry: Let's talk.....I live in the western part of Va. within a couple miles of the George Washington NF. Therefore I have a Suzuki DR-Z400S. I really like it, but, I like to race HS too. I have been trying to do both w/ the DRZ :cry: but darn that thing is heavy. I have about decided to get a WR and put a kit on it....making it DOT legal so I can continue to ride the fireroads.

I can't have both....it's one or the other. Thought about doing many mods to DRZ to make it peppier but thats costly and it still doesn't like to come off the ground. Not that I jump that much but I like a much lighter bike when I do. Anyway, that said, again I like the Z but I hate to tear it up in the HS.

I have always wanted a WR. The dilema is what size. I prefer a 250 for the HS but putting a kit on it and riding it some on the road would probably call for the 450????? I am 6'4" and around 225 (dry weight, lol :cry: ) I have rode a friends YZ250F and know it (a 250) is big enough for me in the woods. What's yall's opinion?

What kit do you recommend for converting the bike?

Thanks for you opinions.

rich128

If you really want a lighter feeling bike go with the WR250. The DRZ400 and WR450 are very similar in tight woods. The WR450 is even more top heavy even though it is lighter. I would try one in the woods before buying it. The WR250 is awesome in tight woods and can be used to commute short distances. :cry:

Thanks Indy.....It appears that you have "dual-sported" yours by the comment "Trick Dual Sport". Have you? And, if so, what kind of kit did you put on it?

About the WR250 on the road......Sometimes we will do rides in the 100-150 mile range, almost entirely dirt, but often end up 30-40 miles from home (by paved/dirt roads) when ready to return. TThe way I have my DRZ geared and setup I really don't like even running it on the road to much. How do you think a 250 would handle this......cruising say 30 miles on a combo of road surfaces to get home quick? Or, do I need to change my riding style?

You should be fine on the paved road just keep the speed down to 50 mph to save your gearbox. I highly recommend the Trick Dual Sport Kit. I have had mine for 18 months and it works flawlessly. Great features and you can remove it and put on the stock fender and light for racing in about 20 mintues if you leave the wiring harness in place. :cry:

http://www.trickdualsport.com/

Dan, keep in mind he has the S model DRZ which is close to 300 lbs. Either WR will feel a lot lighter than that tank.

Yes you are right John I keep forgetting about all the DRZ models! I have not ridden the true street legal model that is the heavier one of the bunch. :cry: My WR450 geared up with gas weighs in at 286 lbs. Still for Eastern woods I would go with a 250 myself if that was all I rode. I cant ride full throttle on my WR450 in the woods anyway without splatting into a tree. :cry:

Thanks again Indy. It's hard to go 50. Ig I go that route (250) I guess that's what I'll have to do. WoW, you say the WR450 comes in at 286. That's pretty heavy. I'm leaning more and more toward the 250.

The weight difference ( top heaviness ) is real noticeable between the WR250 and the WR450. I have ridden several WR250's and they just rip in the woods. I love the better handling in tight trails. 1st gear is also lower so it handles woods riding just fine. :cry:

The WR250 is a great choice. It feels amazingly light in tight woods and won't beat the crap out of you. I would trade My 400 for one in a hartbeat.

if you can ride a drz in the tight woods at speed you can ride a 450 no problem.

here on Vancouver island we ride some amazingly tight trails. 450 does fine here. all i had to do was gear down to 13/50 and lower the forks 4mm, armor, bars/barkbustrs.

oh ya i put in a yz cam too. its a bit to hold on to in when your ripping in the tight stuff. but it sure is fun. and when you get to an open hill climb. hold the fu-k on.

you will love the 250 or the 450 but get the 450 . i never looked back at my drz (other then as a street SM) once i got my WR .

:cry: Let's talk.....I live in the western part of Va. within a couple miles of the George Washington NF. Therefore I have a Suzuki DR-Z400S. I really like it, but, I like to race HS too. I have been trying to do both w/ the DRZ :cry: but darn that thing is heavy. I have about decided to get a WR and put a kit on it....making it DOT legal so I can continue to ride the fireroads.

I live in ashburn, va and ride at Tasker's Gap most of the time. I have a YZ400F and a new 05 WR450F. The WR dosn't really get to stretcj it's legs too often in those rocks. If I had it to do over...I'd have liked to try a WR350 and see if I liked the lightness and handling better. That being said....I do like the 450.

I also like to ocassionally run hare scrambles myself. Not well mind you. :-)

I can't have both....it's one or the other. Thought about doing many mods to DRZ to make it peppier but thats costly and it still doesn't like to come off the ground. Not that I jump that much but I like a much lighter bike when I do. Anyway, that said, again I like the Z but I hate to tear it up in the HS.

I have always wanted a WR. The dilema is what size. I prefer a 250 for the HS but putting a kit on it and riding it some on the road would probably call for the 450????? I am 6'4" and around 225 (dry weight, lol :cry: ) I have rode a friends YZ250F and know it (a 250) is big enough for me in the woods. What's yall's opinion?

You are close to my size. I actiually like the extra power available for some of the truely crappy terrain/rocks. JMO.

Keener

go the 450 if u get 250 u will soon want more power

Thanks everyone for your opins! I truly appreciate it. It's a tough decision.

Simon@vic.....hope you don't mind me saying....Great looking ink on the girl you use as your Avatar. I'd like to see more pics of her/ and the ink. Cool.

Skeener....I just rode Taskers gap yesterday (12/31) on my DRZ. Had a blast.

Thanks all./