HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnsonm.a

Carburetor rebuild

4 posts in this topic

I am thinking about rebuilding my Carburetor. I am having problems starting and I bought the bike used. Since its an older bike

99 YZ400 I figured I would go ahead and rebuild the carb to make sure I know whats been done to it.

Anyone know how much a a carb rebuild kit is and the best place to get one is?

Any tips or tricks when rebuilding the carb.?

Mike

'99 YZ400

Is it cold outside where you are? You could try a 42 pilot and checking the valves. Also you dont really have to "rebuild" the carb. Just take it off and clean the jets out but I doubt that's what's causing your bike not to start.

You sure she aint ready for a top end. Usually starting probs indicate a need for the top end rebuild.

I am thinking about rebuilding my Carburetor. I am having problems starting and I bought the bike used. Since its an older bike

99 YZ400 I figured I would go ahead and rebuild the carb to make sure I know whats been done to it.

Anyone know how much a a carb rebuild kit is and the best place to get one is?

Any tips or tricks when rebuilding the carb.?

Mike

'99 YZ400

Check the valve clearances, especially if the starting problem is progressively getting worse.

As for the carb; if you remove the float bowl and shoot carb cleaner and compressed air through every hole, then the same through the two air holes in the front (air box side) of the carb, then through the fuel screw opening then that should do it. I believe on the older bikes the accelerator pump rod was not covered, so you may want to clean out the accelerator pump while you have it apart. DO NOT remove the plate that is held on by the funny headed screws.