Aluminum Wr's?

2007 model will be aluminum frame ?

My local dealer says that Yamaha has all but officially confirmed to them that their 2006 thumpers (both YZF and WR) will have aluminum frames. I guess we really won't know for sure until June 15, 2005? ?

2007 is the year I'll be replacing my '03 with (unless I just can't live without an '06!) ???

That frame will be nice, but I'm concerned that engine longevity will not be what it was when the oil reservoir was in the steel frame. It really helps to cool the oil as we all know. I wonder if Yamaha will be able to use the alum frame in the same way? I doubt it. Only time will tell.

That frame will be nice, but I'm concerned that engine longevity will not be what it was when the oil reservoir was in the steel frame. It really helps to cool the oil as we all know. I wonder if Yamaha will be able to use the alum frame in the same way? I doubt it. Only time will tell.

Good point, would be good to see an oil cooler somewhere on the new frame to keep the oil capacity up.

i was just reading the new suzuki 450 will keep its oil in the trannie,good for the trannie bad for cooling! where is the honda oil ? in the trannie also? and if thats true is it gonna be a seperate case like a 2 smoke? sounds like a need for a oil cooler to me. and whats wrong with incorporating it into the aluminum frame? i thought aluninum had a even better heat transfer than steel? ?

Heck, why not use the front section of the swing arm, ala Buell? Keeps the weight (& c.g.) low, & should get plenty of cooling. Only negative side effects I can see would be the possibility of the connection line fatiguing & failing & that they would need to change the damping characteristics of the rear shock, but I'd think that either of those issues could be easily & economically solved.

I think the swingarm idea is innovative, but I think there is an advantage having it high up in the frame due to pumping/gravity reasons. Heat does transfer better in alum than steel but that's not what you want. You know how cold steel is when you touch it? That's a good thing when it comes to an oil reservoir. It's similar to how a car with an aluminum block engine will warm up much faster than a steel one (but the steel block will retain the heat for much longer). That aside, i think if yamaha could make an oil reservoir in the alum frame it would be just as good as the steel. I don't like the oil cooler idea. On the plus side, if they made it with separate engine oil/tranny oil you could run synthetic in the engine and not worry about the clutch slipping. That system doesn't seem to add alot of piston life to the CRF240 though, but what do i know?

I'm pretty sure the BRP (xr650r) has its oil stored in its ally frame. Temperature dissipation will be better with the ally frame. The oil will will cool down quicker when you shut the bike off, but this is no different than the case of having an external oil cooler.

I hope for an ally frame, but see no benefit in just doing what they did for the 2-strokes. A new frame material requires a new design. Look at mountain bike frames. Ally ones have totally different aspect ratios to steel frames. I would rather yamaha waited til 2010 and gave us a proper ally frame (just copy the crf one) than rushing out an ally frame based on the frame we have now, with no benefits other than shinyness and corrosion resistance.

i was just reading the new suzuki 450 will keep its oil in the trannie,good for the trannie bad for cooling! where is the honda oil ? in the trannie also? and if thats true is it gonna be a seperate case like a 2 smoke? sounds like a need for a oil cooler to me. and whats wrong with incorporating it into the aluminum frame? i thought aluninum had a even better heat transfer than steel? ?

Yeah the crf has half its oil in the tranny/clutch (similar to a two stroke) and the other half for the engine. Only 700cc-ish for the piston and valvetrain. No thanks!

• 3 months later...

I disagree with the point of view about the 2S alu frame is wrong...actually, IMHO, Yam did what i wanted: an alu frame that mimics a steel frame design.

ONLY with this design will have real weight savings...

Notice that a CR250 is not that much lighter than any other 2S with steel frame...same doesnt happen with the alu 2S Yams.

Naahhh....*all* modern 4S like wrenching :naughty:

Actually now i have a Euro 2S...very little wrenching (crossing my fingers :naughty:...

Piston & rings once per year...3 years allready now , very hard riding, 6500KM...

Better i change those crankshaft bearings just for sure no matter they seem perfect...

AJSB

Well I'm in the minority but I'd rather have a steel frame on a trail bike, I've never ridden a aluminum frame bike that felt right to me.

I'm really hopeing the steel frame stays around through the 06 model year for the WR's because by then my wife will have outgrown her klr (really already has) and we'll be buying her a new WR450, If the 06 has a aluminum frame, I'll be searching dealers for a left over 05 (or another 04 would be even better)

I read somewhere about an external oil tank in the front of the engine. Right where the frame splits and it would be covered by the bash plate. It would carry weight lower and keep the same oil capacity. Same theory as having the fuel cell sit down in the frame instead of riding on top therefore lowering the center of gravity. I'm not impressed with any design that would lower oil capacity any more than it already is. I'm already changing the oil after every race or extended trail ride. I want 'ole blue to last as long as possible! Oil is cheap insurance. Although with my newly acquired ACL tear it looks as if the bike will last a little longer due to non use. :naughty: