HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redmanrandyed

Check valve clearance or not?

5 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 XR650R and have not checked the valve clearances yet. The question I have is do I need to check and adjust the valves if the bike is running great? Are there any signs of valves needing adjusting? When should one check and adjust the valves?

Thanks in advance,

Redmanrandyed

I have a 2000 XR650R and have not checked the valve clearances yet. The question I have is do I need to check and adjust the valves if the bike is running great? Are there any signs of valves needing adjusting? When should one check and adjust the valves?

Thanks in advance,

Redmanrandyed

Odds are if it starts easy, idles nice and has great power through out the range it's ok. If you are comfortable doing valves that have a auto-decomp, check them for peace of mind.

:cry:

How does the auto decomp effect valve adjustment? As long as you end up at TDC on the "T", and there is play in the rocker arms, should one be all set for adjustment?

Hoping I didn't miss something....

Odds are if it starts easy, idles nice and has great power through out the range it's ok. If you are comfortable doing valves that have a auto-decomp, check them for peace of mind.

My bike was starting great and running great. I decided to check the valves anyway since I had the tank off. The intake valves were tight. It had much more snap after that, and I did not even notice the bike was running a little flat before. :cry:

How does the auto decomp effect valve adjustment? As long as you end up at TDC on the "T", and there is play in the rocker arms, should one be all set for adjustment?

Hoping I didn't miss something....

You will know that the auto-decomp kicked in if when you start it there is a very loud tapping. If you allow the motor to kick back even a little when your turning it over to find TDC the auto-decomp will set. If you had play in every valve before you loosened and adjusted them, your fine. :cry: