'01 vs '02 YZ 426 - what's the diff?

New to Yamaha & considering purchasing one of these two models - what (if any) are the significant differences between these two model years?

Anything in particular to be aware of?

There are a ton of updates yearly to the bikes.

The biggest difference is the 2002 has the new lighter swing arm, different linkage, linkage bolts and longer shock. The hubs are wider, thinner spokes, Yamaha finally got the carb working right, lighter motor, lighter forks and BNG!

If you really want EVERY detail, go to the Yamaha dealer and purchase the 2002 Seminar update book. They list every change in detail and the benefits of the change.

here is a test MXA did on the 2002

YZ426F Test

Just like Matt96xr6 says plus Titanium valve and a better clutch assly. If you have to get one, the 2002 is the one :cry: .

Just like Matt96xr6 says plus Titanium valve and a better clutch assly. If you have to get one, the 2002 is the one :cry: .

The '01 has Titatanium valves. I think 2000 was the last year of the steel valves. I don't think there were any big clutch changes between '01 and '02 either. If I'm not mistaken, the big clutch change was between the '00 and the '01. I could be wrong here though.

you are correct.

2002 it is!!

The mighty YZ!!

clean

-------------

Thanks for the article link Satch! Good read!

That is one clean bike! What's it have, about one hour on it?

That is one clean bike! What's it have, about one hour on it?

Had one hour on it.

Now it has more ... :cry:

When I got it I knew it was used very little. After one ride, I'm wondering if it was ever ridden at all. There were absolutely no marks from boots, etc on any of the plastic/frame, etc... One trail ride yesterday & I've got some rubbing from the boots. No big deal, but I'm amazed that the thing looked untouched. The original tires were still on it ... still had the little rubber "hairs" on the front.

Hey just out of curiosity how much did you pay for your bike. I am also in the market for an 02 or earlier yz because I want green sticker. Thanks, Wanna sell it yet?

My mistake.

One of my friend had troubles with the bike clutch assly. He stated that the bikes of that year were known for this clutch problem. But after double check it came out as a 2000. Sorry for the misleading, but I still think that the 02 is the year to get. :cry:

Best wishes for new year to all. :cry: