HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CBreaken

Sand in my motor!

4 posts in this topic

Well I changed the oil in my 450 the other day and found alot of sand in the filter and filter housing. Upon further inspection the used oil was also contaminated with sand. First thing I did was check the air filter a seal, all good there, the breather hose comming from the head checked all clear as well. I was baffeled about where this sand came from. Well I called up my riding buddy who also rides a 450f and he said he found a bunch of sand in his motor too! I honestly think some greenie put sand in our motors while we were grabbing lunch at the local spot last ride! It's too weird that both bikes suffered the same fate at the same time! Well now I have to tear the motor down and inspect the damage, I'm thinking of replacing the 4 box with the wr unit while its apart. Now my question, dose anyone have a list of the wr tranny parts with part numbers I'm going to have to order? Sorry about the meaningless post, just wanted to vent. Thanks in advance.

Well I changed the oil in my 450 the other day and found alot of sand in the filter and filter housing. Upon further inspection the used oil was also contaminated with sand. First thing I did was check the air filter a seal, all good there, the breather hose comming from the head checked all clear as well. I was baffeled about where this sand came from. Well I called up my riding buddy who also rides a 450f and he said he found a bunch of sand in his motor too! I honestly think some greenie put sand in our motors while we were grabbing lunch at the local spot last ride! It's too weird that both bikes suffered the same fate at the same time! Well now I have to tear the motor down and inspect the damage, I'm thinking of replacing the 4 box with the wr unit while its apart. Now my question, dose anyone have a list of the wr tranny parts with part numbers I'm going to have to order? Sorry about the meaningless post, just wanted to vent. Thanks in advance.

If you believe someone actually did this to your bike, please post WHERE and when. Cargo van is in the near future for me anyway. I'd like to see pics as well.

Sorry guys, I didn't think to get any pics of the filter or anything, but I would estimate that there was about a teaspoon of sand that drained out...who knows how much is still in the enigne and sump though :cry: . I know that someone putting sand in the motor is kinda far fetched but, it's just too much of a coincidence that me and buddy both have sand in our engines after the same ride leaving the bikes in th same place and changing our oils a day apart after the ride. I just can't think of another logical explanation. We were riding outside of Adeleato California, just down the highway from racetown 395. The spot we stopped for eats was a pizza factory in adelanto. There were lots of people comming a going from that place when we were there. Thanks for the replies.