HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluerider450

storing bike

8 posts in this topic

I would think putting it on a stand would be better for the suspension than leaving it under it's own weight. Just my opinion, not an expert by any means.

I agree, always better. I would also drain all the fuel and kick it to compression so that the valves are not open to take off the valve spring tension.

Good advise Blue. I never thought about the valve springs!

As for the suspension I really don't think It will hurt it to leave it on its wheels but I do it anyway.

Spray silicon on anything that is rubber

If you don't want to mess with draining your tank, you add some stuff called stabil to your tank and then run it for a couple minutes. It is guaranteed to keep your fule fresh and will even help clean up your carb. :cry:

I agree, always better. I would also drain all the fuel and kick it to compression so that the valves are not open to take off the valve spring tension.

I agree:

I prefer to drain all gas & most importantly - remove floatbowl drain 17mm and completly drain - and let air dry - Keeps carb from gumming up

Forget the fuel stabilizer. .......why use crappy 2mo old gas.... :cry:

I would use the stand as concrete causes flat spots - dry rot

Also another good tip is leaving your gas cap off if your gonna drain your fuel. It will help your tank decals not to peal and bubble.

When I've been on deployment in the past, I've had the tanks filled with Stabil-ized fuel (I run the bikes with Stabil in them all the time now), taken the plug out and poured about a capful of Marvel's Mystery Oil (it's ashless when it burns, so the first start will burn clean) in the cylinder, sprayed the metal parts with a protectant, put it on a center stand and cover it with a breathable cover (so humidity doesn't collect). Works like a champ for me!!!