HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jn2jhavens

YZ / WR 426 whats the difference

14 posts in this topic

free modded wr has a milder cam, heavier more restrictive exhaust , 18 inch rear wheel , radiator puke bottle and a lighting coil in addition to all the obvious stuff. The gearbox is the trickiest thing to swap across, everything else is relatively easy.

Suspension is tuned for MX on the YZ. The spring rates may be different. Not sure.

As far as cams go and I may be wrong here but I think they are the same. I believe it's the cam timing that is different. It's a simple cam adjustment and you will have the YZ hit on the WR426.

The YZ has a smaller gas tank also the WR has a reserve position on the fuel petcock. The 01 YZ 426 doesn't have one.

The YZ has an aluminum rear subframe.

The WR426 has a throttle screw that won't allow full throttle. Replace it with a YZ fuel throttle screw and you can open the carb up all the way! Or you can cut the stocker if you know the specs and have a good steady hand and cutting tool.

The YZ has a totally different tank and seat combo. It's slimmer and allows a better position over the front of the bike. You can get a large capicity tank 3.2 gallons that has the same shape up front but you'll need to get a YZ seat to run this tank. The WR seat won't fit it. It's a great upgrade.

There is more I just can't remember at the moment. Exhaust system on the WR is forest approved not so on the YZ. Rear wheel is 18' on WR 19" on YZ.

The best thing about the WR for just fun trail riding is it comes with a good kick stand installed stock. The YZ has no stock kick stand.

What have I missed I know there is way more.

Rear wheel is 18' on WR 19" on YZ.

18 ft - Holy Cow :cry:

Hey - We had a great ride at Gorman yesterday - shouda come :cry:

As far as cams go and I may be wrong here but I think they are the same. I believe it's the cam timing that is different. It's a simple cam adjustment and you will have the YZ hit on the WR426.

Yep, thats correct. Retard the exhaust cam one tooth and off you go :cry:

free modded wr has a milder cam, heavier more restrictive exhaust , 18 inch rear wheel , radiator puke bottle and a lighting coil in addition to all the obvious stuff. The gearbox is the trickiest thing to swap across, everything else is relatively easy.

Milder cam?

i have never heard that one before. Please show me somewhere on the web where it tells me this.

Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the alu subframe came on the YZs before 2003 and the 450f. Which should mean that all YZ426f have a steel subframe...

Just to bring this back to life. Does the yz airbox look like it had a lid on it? I just picked up a 426? that says yz on it (fenders) everything appears to be stock but it has a reserve petcock on it. What is one sure fire way I can make sure someone didn't convert this bike over besides the VIN? :):)

the wr is a 5 speed.... the yzf is a 4 speed I think.. :) but never the less it is easier and less expensive to get the yz qualities out of the wr than vice versa....

My 01 yz's got an aluminum subframe, and the airbox looks as if it's the same as a wr with provisions for a lid.

Yeah mine has the airbox with the provisions for the lid too. Also it has the reserve petcock on it. I was just thinking that maybe this guy tried to switch it around on me. Anyway the bike is a dream to ride as it sits.

the wr is a 5 speed.... the yzf is a 4 speed I think.. :) but never the less it is easier and less expensive to get the yz qualities out of the wr than vice versa....

2002 YZ was also a 5 speeder :)