How many 40+ MX riders out there?

The question about what type of riding one does got me to wondering how many 40 and over MX riders we have out there. Or for that matter, what age are the MX riders over all. I am 40, as the question implies, and still love to race. I remember when I was 17 that I thought the over 40 guys were ancient! Well, now I'm ancient! (My 1st MX bike was a 81 RM 125 - "Full Floater" and water cooled. Yes they used to be air cooled!) So all you motocross guys how old are you?

42 and still lovin it, though I only race in the Veterans these guy's are still pretty competetive. There is a guy over here in Perth West Australia that is in his early 60's and still gets around the track, racing in the Vet's.

I am 40 and have been riding for one year. I am considering trying to race next year in the 35+ and 40+ classes to see what it is like. There are several tracks around Indy that don't have open practice days - only practices before races. I play ice hockey (no check A nd B level) during the winter for fun and to stay in shape. So far I have had worse injuries playing hockey than riding MX.

42 years old and 100% trail rider. Not sure my body could hold up to racing, and I stay in pretty good shape (long trail rides and lots of racquetball). When you get hurt in your 40s it's not the same as when you are in your 20s! But I still LOVE trail riding !! Every chance I get. Even when the temps are low 40s.

I am 47,I rode practice on sat.I raced a couple of weeks ago.I don't race MX much but race harescrambles a lot now.Not planning on quitting anytime soon.I like harescrambles better because its a better value ,2hrs vs 30 min.

Same here, 48 in january and race all the FTR events with my kid (MX and HS). Even my 15 year old said the same thing about getting more for your money with hare scrambles. ?

51 here and just finished my first fall season. Took about a 20 yr. hiatus, used to ride alot of enduros. I ride in the 30+ beginner as there isn't a 40+ or 50+ beginner class. Basically I ride around the course while the others race and if someone falls I don't get last. Good enough for now, getting better everytime out and having a blast!!!

44 on the 30th of this month...senA enduro/h.s. rider here in MN...I only live a half hour from Millville (home of a pro-national MX)...and love riding that track. That said, tight/technical singletrack RULES!! We have some GREAT enduros here in Minnesota. I LOVE going to other parts of the country to ride as well. I'll quit when I can no longer swing a leg over the bike!!

46 here. I rode 95% MX practice, at race pace, with a bunch of buds of varying age and skills and we chase each other around. I go to the track at least 50 times a year and average 1.5 hrs on my hrmeter. 2Xyr I go with other buds to get a 3 day woods ride and put about 100 trail miles on my ride and get a real bad case of monkeybutt.

About every 12-18 months I decide I need to get a race under my belt and then I really train hard and usually do pretty well in the over 35 or 40 B ( theres a LOT of old fast MF"s in this class).

I guess MX'ing is what keeps me fit and active.

42 and ride as much as I can. From my house I can ride lots of trails, but when we trailer, it's usually to a track. I started racing this year. Raced about 5 races, had a blast each time. I mostly just try to keep up with my 11 year old, who regularly spanks me on the track. But life is good, even when you're OLD and SLOW.

46 raced when I was a teenager bought a 2004 YZF250 after the supercross races in Houston last year and divorce. My son and I race/practice at least twice a week since last year no major injuries yet even though I can clear most doubles and recently learned to whip, had to to be cool at the local tracks. I also surf competitively and have been since the early 70's. Riding keeps me young and in shape.

Basically I ride around the course while the others race and if someone falls I don't get last

?

that cracked me up; great outlook. ?

At 45, I don't race but I ride trails with a lot of younger and faster guys and I always get a kick at how fast they rail through the weeds and yet almost without fail, someone hits a turn too hot or turns too tight and washes the front wheel out; not that I don't do so myself on occasion, but I think I've only dropped my bike 4-5 times in the past few years and I ride all year long; 20 or so times a year. Granted, it's mostly due to my slower; or as I like to think, controlled pace. I am rarely the slowest but I am usually in the back of the pack but it suits me fine. It saves on the plastic and the trips to the emergency room.

Great to hear from everyone. It makes me feel good to know that I'm not the only 40+ rider out there. Actually, I ride the Missouri State Series and we have from 10-15 riders at each race. I really enjoy it. I usually get 2nd to 4th, but there is always a couple of old experts out there that are still really quick. I haven't beaten those guys yet. Maybe next year. Like so many of you, I do it mostly because it is great exercise that is fun! The people I work with think I'm out of my mind. They think its soooo dangerous. I keep telling them it is about equal with horse back riding, but no one thinks of that as dangerous.