XR 650L Crank/rod mod

Does anyone know if there is a bolt-on connecting rod kit available for an XR650L?

Any good reasons why that wouldn't work or hasn't been done already?

That way I don't have to buy an entire crank/rod assembly.

Thanks

I was just thinking about this since my old man's 600 was apart not long ago. It would be a good idea since 4 cylinder street bikes have bolt-on rods, but it would be iffy pressing together multiple parts of a long crank like that, not to mention more expensive to manufacture. Street bikes also do not have roller bearings on the rods, just babbitt bearing shells like a car engine.

Anyway, I dont think anyone makes a bolt-on retrofit because the rod's bolt bosses either wont clear the crankcase, cylinder, transmission, counterbalancer, or a combination of the above.

Does anyone know if there is a bolt-on connecting rod kit available for an XR650L?

Any good reasons why that wouldn't work or hasn't been done already?

That way I don't have to buy an entire crank/rod assembly.

Thanks

I don't think there is a bolt on one. However, you don't have to buy a new crank. Places like XRsOnly can press your crank apart and install a new rod and bearing (and journal if necessary) and press it back together.

Oh yes, thank you

I think that is the way to go. Even with shipping costs I think it'll be less than a new assembly.

Thanks. -Bryan

Any descent motorycle shop should be able to do it. I think they wanted 2 hours labor to do it including pressing the crank out of the left side engine case. David