HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brs1972

XR 650L Crank/rod mod

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there is a bolt-on connecting rod kit available for an XR650L?

Any good reasons why that wouldn't work or hasn't been done already?

That way I don't have to buy an entire crank/rod assembly.

Thanks

I was just thinking about this since my old man's 600 was apart not long ago. It would be a good idea since 4 cylinder street bikes have bolt-on rods, but it would be iffy pressing together multiple parts of a long crank like that, not to mention more expensive to manufacture. Street bikes also do not have roller bearings on the rods, just babbitt bearing shells like a car engine.

Anyway, I dont think anyone makes a bolt-on retrofit because the rod's bolt bosses either wont clear the crankcase, cylinder, transmission, counterbalancer, or a combination of the above.

Does anyone know if there is a bolt-on connecting rod kit available for an XR650L?

Any good reasons why that wouldn't work or hasn't been done already?

That way I don't have to buy an entire crank/rod assembly.

Thanks

I don't think there is a bolt on one. However, you don't have to buy a new crank. Places like XRsOnly can press your crank apart and install a new rod and bearing (and journal if necessary) and press it back together.

Oh yes, thank you

I think that is the way to go. Even with shipping costs I think it'll be less than a new assembly.

Thanks. -Bryan

Any descent motorycle shop should be able to do it. I think they wanted 2 hours labor to do it including pressing the crank out of the left side engine case. David