HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pudadin

Best Handguards for a 05 wr450?

16 posts in this topic

I just received a pair of Moose Racing handguards...they do not fit the 05 wr450...even though Moose said they would! Which hanguard is best (fit,ie little or no modification; and protection).

what do you mean by "don't fit"? the renthal bars (aluminum in general) have a smaller inside diameter and an insert for aluminum bars has to be used. some guards come with a kit to fit all bars, some don't.

Thanks everyone! When I say that Moose does not fit....my Yam dealer agrees. There is no place to connect to the bars. The mounting hardware does fit the diameter of the bar but given the length of the guard there is not a place to mount the handguard without some custom work......

I used the cycra pro bend handguards with fastway topclamp mounts. Fit great, install in 20min. or so. Most guards require a little bending ect to make them go where you want them...thats part of it... Smitty

My handguards do fit the stock Renthal handlebars, but it did take a little bending of the aluminum guard and re-routing of cables. I thought it was going to be easy, but they ended up taking a little while to install.

Whats nice about the cycra pro bend..If you have big hands, it gives you more room. I would get blisters on the side of my hands by my little finger from rubbing the hand guards. Not with the pro-bends.. :cry: ...smitty

Cycra Pro Bends all the way! They fit just fine on the stock bars, but much better on set of 1-1/8" bars. The best cactus bashers I have owned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandville

Check-out www.woodsblaster.com I have their single piece style on my WR and I think they are the best I have ever used after 25-years plus of riding.

Are you kidding? Those aren't hand guards, it's a battering ram!

Outta' my way!

Johnny

Yea Johnny34,

You got a good point, some rider's use handguards on their bikes, I use a battering ram on my bike. :cry: I have always thought of it as kind of bike's SUV bumper. It's design does offer some unique advantages; the plastic flexes so it doesn't crack apart, The one piece design reinforces bar strength and protects expensive computer gadgets on the dash.

I think woodsblaster holds a patent on the one piece bar design and the gel padded underwear.

Quote:

You got a good point, some rider's use handguards on their bikes, I use a battering ram on my bike. :cry: I have always thought of it as kind of bike's SUV bumper. It's design does offer some unique advantages; the plastic flexes so it doesn't crack apart, The one piece design reinforces bar strength and protects expensive computer gadgets on the dash.

I forgot to mention that I got the Acerbis Pro Rally 2's for like $62 bucks. They don't have the aluminum reinforcement like some of the other types mentioned here, but they look damn good. Plus the hand coverage from the deflector is larger than the previous rally model.

Johnny

:cry: SUV bumper, that's funny :cry: