HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yamaha9985

Whip location

12 posts in this topic

I just bought an 04 YZF450 and I go to Glamis for about every other weekend. I was wondering where to put the whip. On my old CR250 I put it on a little L bracket on the axle nut and put a small bungy cord from the seat bolt to the whip to keep it from getting sucked up in the tire. My only concern about doing this is that the whip or bungy cord will melt on the exhaust pipe. One person at the shop said to turn the axle around so the axle nut is on the other side. Any suggestions would be gretly appriciated. Thanks.

I bought a bracket that bolts to both of the seat bolts then hoops around the back fender. It looks a little weird but the thing I like about it is that it keeps the flag up out of the way. Several of my friends had the swing arm mounts and they beat up the rear fender and silencer and after some big jumps the mount eventually broke off. The mount I have has a name and Either a phone number or web address on it, problem is I loaned it to my cousin so I can't give you that info at this moment. I will see him today so I Will post it later.

Yeah I need to get that whip mount that hooks up to your airbox bolts under your seat and comes around the rear fender. If you mount it on the swingarm I found it burns off on your pipe. That sucks. ESPECIALLY if you have an aftermarket pipe.

-Doug

I just loosen the top bolt on the side number plate that holds the seat in place. Then I just run the whip down along the subframe and zip tie it at the bottom. You have to take the nut and bolt of the whip first. It fits real tight between the number plate and the frame. :cry: I go out to Glamis at least twice a month and this is my 3d season on the same whip. Its not really legal anymore because its so beat, but the rangers have never hassled me :cry: I tried the swingarm mounts and I would go thru whips every weekend :cry: I lay it down a lot out there and have never broken my whip after I strated mounting it this way. :cry: See ya out there new years.

I have an 03 450 and the whip would always break if mounted to the swing arm. I got a mount that bolts to the inside of the rear fender and pops out to the left rear of the seat. Very clean design you can barely even see it's there with the whip off of it. Never had a broken whip since then. I can e-mail some pictures. It's from a place in oregon here's the site! :cry:

http://www.arpatv.com/index2.html

i mount mine on the swing arm with the L-bracket then i drilled a hole in my rear fender towards the rear and i use a zip-tie to hold the whip back. doesnt touch my pipe and ive only broke one whipe when i looped it in a whoop section at pismo.

I use a buggy whip that is tapered. It's a bit stiff, but it hasn't broken in 8years with several good crashes. I bought it in MI, so I couldn't tell you the brand. No markings on it.

i mount mine on the swing arm with the L-bracket then i drilled a hole in my rear fender towards the rear and i use a zip-tie to hold the whip back. doesnt touch my pipe and ive only broke one whipe when i looped it in a whoop section at pismo.

\

I'm with stupid. :cry:

y am i stupid?

Your not. It's just a funny way of agreeing with you. Saying I do the same thing. Not ment to offend u. :cry:

oh, ok, sorry bout that. i was looking at it wrong. i just got what u were trying to say right now. i guess u are with stupid(me). haha. merry x-mas.