Blew Out Exhaust Baffle, what now?

On my way home from work, my 2004 WR450F started sounding odd. Ran good, but sounded odd. I looked back, and the baffle was sticking out.

It broke, I blew it out. Really, look for yourself.

So, now I have this big hole. I actually love how it sounds, but I don’t want to ride like this and piss everyone around me off. So, what’s the best replacement option, cost, and where do I order one? Baja Designs? Someone else?

Well, now you can see what kind of power the bike is capable of producing, since you have removed that restrictive piece of crap. BUT I do see the noise problem and recommend a Pro Moto Billet baffle. They are only like $40 ($80 something for the baja one) and it works well. It quiets the bike down but does not rob it of the power like the stocker does.

Actually that's a pretty common failure. If you get an aftermarket one like GYT or PMB you might want to consider safety wiring the bolt. They have a way of coming loose and since there's only 1 bolt holding it in...well you get the picture.

I just got my new baffel this week. It is from Quiet Products.

It has the most air flow I have seen and quiets the sound at the same time.

I paid $39.95 for mine. Here is a link to a pic of the one I got for my WR426.

http://www.quietiscool.com/db3/00294/quietiscool.com/_uimages/WR250_cropped_47k.JPG

Here is the link to their home page.

http://www.quietiscool.com

Nice finish on the part and it really quiets down the bike. I had always run my bike uncorked and it was loud. This reduces the sound to acceptable levels and I really have not noticed a loss of power ? . I spoke to the owner of the company and he was very helpful and informative. It is just an open pipe with a turndown. He said the sound it reduced by the length of the pipe inside the exhaust can and the turndown. I was pretty cynical but now I'm a believer.

Thanks,

Eric

i bet there are a dozen wr owners that would send you their stock baffle for not much more than postage (if that's what you want). i don't have mine so i can't. keep this thread going. someone is bound to come up with one. the gytr and pmb are great products but will not be whisper quiet like stock.

I'll take a stock one, if someone want's to ship it. I'm broke until after christmas, and probably for a while then. And I have some rides planned!

Let me know if someone has one. I can't image it costing more than a couple bucks to ship, anyone got on in Tucson I could pick up?

I don't know how yours broke. But mine looked like any one with a welder could put it back together. I took it as a sign from the off road gods that it didn't belong on my bike and replaced it with the GYTR insert (@ $40.00). It works great. Good luck.

I don't know how yours broke. But mine looked like any one with a welder could put it back together. I took it as a sign from the off road gods that it didn't belong on my bike and replaced it with the GYTR insert (@ $40.00). It works great. Good luck.

See the photo linked for how it's broke. Your probably right, I'll have to take it into work and see if I can get it welded.

Just in case, I'll keep my options open if someone is about to throw one out and wants to send it to me...

And, I'm still watching replys for best replacement when I have the $$$.

On my way home from work, my 2004 WR450F started sounding odd. Ran good, but sounded odd. I looked back, and the baffle was sticking out.

It broke, I blew it out. Really, look for yourself.

So, now I have this big hole. I actually love how it sounds, but I don’t want to ride like this and piss everyone around me off. So, what’s the best replacement option, cost, and where do I order one? Baja Designs? Someone else?

that's the way I run mine all the time without that power restricting baffle

I just got my new baffel this week. It is from Quiet Products.

It has the most air flow I have seen and quiets the sound at the same time.

I paid $39.95 for mine. Here is a link to a pic of the one I got for my WR426.

http://www.quietiscool.com/db3/00294/quietiscool.com/_uimages/WR250_cropped_47k.JPG

Thanks,

Eric

I've got the same one, I love it. Had the GYTR 1st, lost it and bought the Quiet Prod. .....I like it it better! More power and souinds like it's quieter.... ?

I'll take a stock one, if someone want's to ship it. I'm broke until after christmas, and probably for a while then. And I have some rides planned!

Let me know if someone has one. I can't image it costing more than a couple bucks to ship, anyone got on in Tucson I could pick up?

I could loan you mine, but I want to keep it in case the laws change and I need it..... ?

Could anyone take a pic of your PMB, quietiscool, GYTR, etc. inserts and post them?

I'm building a baffle for my E-series. I'm starting with different lengths & diameter tubing brazed together. I have a pic of the Baja designs baffle and will start by copying that.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris

It would appear that the '04's have an issue with the baffle. The first day I rode my bike to and from work I had the exact same issue. I rode without the baffle for a bit and recently through the GYT-R insert in. The next day I rode and the hear of the engine peeled the stickers off my tank. Dang.

Could anyone take a pic of your PMB, quietiscool, GYTR, etc. inserts and post them?

I'm building a baffle for my E-series. I'm starting with different lengths & diameter tubing brazed together. I have a pic of the Baja designs baffle and will start by copying that.

Any help would be appreciated!

Chris

Here's a pic of a Quiet Products insert in my 2001 WR426F

Rolls December 2004 (3a).JPG

Here is a pic of it out of the bike. (Pic stolen from Quietiscool.com)

Exactly what mine looks like!

Quiet products WR insert.jpeg

Thanks wr426inAZ,

What does it look like inside? Several small pipes like the GYTR and the Baja Designs baffle?

I made up several tubes to stuff in there and try out. I'll let you all know.

Chris

No tubes inside or anything.

What you see is what you get.

It is just an open tube inside. No baffles or smaller tubes or anything inside.

No air flow restriction and it's quiet.

Perfect combination!