Must-do mods on a new 450?

Grease everything - links, axles, head bearings.

Remove the chain guard on the swingarm and fix it solidly in place. I squished the little cup washer things and put Mr. Weld-it to glue it in place. If you don't, the thing moves around and wears a groove in the aluminum.

Wash and oil your air filter.

Send your suspension to Enzo!

Remove the chain guard on the swingarm and fix it solidly in place. I squished the little cup washer things and put Mr. Weld-it to glue it in place. If you don't, the thing moves around and wears a groove in the aluminum.

Ever think there was a reason the chain buffer was meant to move? Ever seen how much side to side play you chain has? The dumb factory guys ?

I personally have never glued my buffer down and it lasted over four years. No damage to the aluminum swingarm either. It must have to do with where you ride and how abrasive the sand or dirt is. I always wash my bike after a weekend and relube. I also used only wd-40 on o-ring chains. Just keep an eye on things and maintain your bike. As far as I can tell, yamaha wanted the buffer to have a bit of slop.

If the 05's are the same as the 04's get a TT Decompressor Plug. Just put one on my 04. The stock plug is a joke. Check the oil, lube everything and break it in hard. I also put a new chain (DID x-ring), UNI air filter and Pro Tapers on mine.

I personally have never glued my buffer down and it lasted over four years. No damage to the aluminum swingarm either. It must have to do with where you ride and how abrasive the sand or dirt is. I always wash my bike after a weekend and relube. I also used only wd-40 on o-ring chains. Just keep an eye on things and maintain your bike. As far as I can tell, yamaha wanted the buffer to have a bit of slop.

You must be lucky.

I also wash my bike after every ride, use wd-40 on the O-ring chain, I ride in the sand and my swingarm had a gouge 1mm deep after 30hrs use.

Wash and oil your air filter.

Send your suspension to Enzo!

The 05's have a new design that does not move around stock.

Is the stock chain that bad? I have about four rides on my stock chain and it seems ok. Why not just wait till it wears out before you buy a new X or O ring chain and the Ironman sprocket at the same time?

Because a lot of people have had the stock chain snap before it should have. When the chain snaps it is under a whole lot of strain and the end can slap into the case and damage the case. This has happened enough that people have noted it as one of the first things you should change.

Take the advice of the experienced people on here rather than experiencing that one yourself. Dropping your motor out to have the case repaired ain't cheap. ?

If you only have four rides on it you should be able to replace the chain without having to replace the sprockets.

Because a lot of people have had the stock chain snap before it should have. When the chain snaps it is under a whole lot of strain and the end can slap into the case and damage the case. This has happened enough that people have noted it as one of the first things you should change.

Take the advice of the experienced people on here rather than experiencing that one yourself. Dropping your motor out to have the case repaired ain't cheap. ?

If you only have four rides on it you should be able to replace the chain without having to replace the sprockets.

Yeah your right, I have an X-Ring on order just waiting..

As mentioned above the stock chain is a peice of trash... I would go ahead and put some stomp grip on the sides of the airbox or your boots will rub up against is and my it look like trash. Then your replacing the chain, you might as well take off the chain guard. The only thing it is good for is collecting mud

Is the stock chain that bad? I have about four rides on my stock chain and it seems ok. Why not just wait till it wears out before you buy a new X or O ring chain and the Ironman sprocket at the same time?

DPW, Ask TexasDirtnap...his snapped on his 04 and almost busted the cases! Nice big gouge there.

I personally have never glued my buffer down and it lasted over four years. No damage to the aluminum swingarm either. It must have to do with where you ride and how abrasive the sand or dirt is.

I agree, it must be related to the environment you ride in. My 426 is 4 years old and doesn't show any sign of signifigant wear under the chain slider. It is a known problem for many people though, so I think it's a good idea to check it periodically.

every time I buy a new bike... I make them put a DID -X chain on it to close the deal. works everytime! ok just 3 times my whole life,lol

Not a bad idea, though I always purchase a new o/x-ring chain with the bike, swap it b4 the first ride and store the orig in a plastic bag for re-installation when selling the bike.