New '05 YZF 450 tomorrow!!!

Yep....gonna finally do it. I've drooled over them for too long. I was urged by my wife (god bless her) to just "do it". Yep, gotta love her!!! I pick it up around noon, and will be breaking it in on Saturday. I can't wait!!!! I've never owned a new dirtbike. I've been riding '98's for the last 5 years, so I'm severely anxious to see the differences. I'll update the post after the ride...

?

Yep....gonna finally do it. I've drooled over them for too long. I was urged by my wife (god bless her) to just "do it". Yep, gotta love her!!! I pick it up around noon, and will be breaking it in on Saturday. I can't wait!!!! I've never owned a new dirtbike. I've been riding '98's for the last 5 years, so I'm severely anxious to see the differences. I'll update the post after the ride...

?

My wife loathed bikes until she saw the smile on our little ones face one day after riding his PW 50.Quite often I use to have to pull out the trump card... reminding her I traded my favorite bike on her engagement ring. ? She called yesterday from the bike shop asking questions about gear I would like from Santa ? It took me YEARS of training

Congrat's on selling your wife on buying a bike.Next thing you need to do is find a dirt riding buddy with a spouce your wife really likes... preferably a buddy that spends a lot more on bikes than you:D ??

I feel very lucky to have what I have. I've got a full truck and trailer when we go to the track: TTR-125 (my wife's), PW-80, PW-50, and then my YZ (my NEW one!!).

I've owned a ton of dirtbikes through the years, most of them four strokes, but never a new one. I know I'll have to return the favor my wife has displayed with a new FZ-6 for her in the next year or so...she rides a Honda VLX right now, and she is getting to the point of wanting more power. Her experience on a dirt bike is helping her street savvy skills with every trip.

I was urged by my wife (god bless her) to just "do it". Yep, gotta love her!!! ?

Sweeet! I hear ya. It is sooo nice have a wife who understands. Mine also urged me to pick up my 450 this fall ?. I think santa is going to be very kind to her this year ? .

?

After reading your thread I had to join this board. I HAVE both bike YZ450 and the CR450, both '04. Ive been a dedicated yamaha rider since I was 5years old and I'm know 36. The biggest regret I have is staying with Yamaha when I switched to riding 4 stokes Jan 04. Since then the Yamaha has had 2 (TWO) motor rebuilds. First one was because the day I bought this REGRET in cash, fourth gear was gone/shot. First thing I did was call L.A. YAMAHA and they said they will look at it. 4 months later I got the bike back with a labor bill. Second problem, the rear hub explodes coming out of a corner. This happened on my third ride out. What does Yamaha say? You are over your 30 day warranty. WHAT! I only had the bike for less than 7 days total. Start asking other guys at the track and I would say 1/3 has had transmission or hub problems. Second

REBUILD is now in progress, and yes it’s again because the transmission. I have MAYBE 15 rides on this bike and now paying for a second rebuild on the GREAT YZ450f . As far as the cr450, runs great! Not one problem, besides eating up tires every 5-7 rides.

E-mail me and I’ll send you ALL my parts list that I have for the YAMAHA

George

DONT PICK IT UP, GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND BUY A CR.

After reading your thread I had to join this board. I HAVE both bike YZ450 and the CR450, both '04. Ive been a dedicated yamaha rider since I was 5years old and I'm know 36. The biggest regret I have is staying with Yamaha when I switched to riding 4 stokes Jan 04. Since then the Yamaha has had 2 (TWO) motor rebuilds. First one was because the day I bought this REGRET in cash, fourth gear was gone/shot. First thing I did was call L.A. YAMAHA and they said they will look at it. 4 months later I got the bike back with a labor bill. Second problem, the rear hub explodes coming out of a corner. This happened on my third ride out. What does Yamaha say? You are over your 30 day warranty. WHAT! I only had the bike for less than 7 days total. Start asking other guys at the track and I would say 1/3 has had transmission or hub problems. Second

REBUILD is now in progress, and yes it’s again because the transmission. I have MAYBE 15 rides on this bike and now paying for a second rebuild on the GREAT YZ450f . As far as the cr450, runs great! Not one problem, besides eating up tires every 5-7 rides.

George

Nice post, not real sure of your point though....other than trying to rain on this guys happiness for his new bike. Anyway I hate hearing stories like that about any bike. Not all bikes are perfect, if you are happy with Honda good for you enjoy the bike it's a great sport. Do a search on "valves" in the Honda forum and sit down and do some reading. I've owned YZFs since '99 with no problems so far. My '03 YZ450F was purchased back in November of '02 and has been trouble free.

I'm on my fourth YZF (400, 426, 2 450's) and I have had no problem with them whatsoever. Usually the exploding hubs can be traced back to a loose sprocket bolt. And I've yet to experience any motor or tranny problems. I do know of a lot of guys that have broken their Honda's. Most of them don't talk about it but word gets around at the track. The bottom line here is that these things are race bikes and occassionaly things can and will break on them. My experience with the Yamahas is that with proper maintenance they are pretty darn bulletproof.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your Yamaha, GeorgeCortina.

I have to say your dealer's attitude stinks. It is a fact, not commonly known though, that factories allow a full covering guarantee also on these bikes for importers. It is another thing what the importer and dealer gives you, nothing or only a month or two on parts, but usually you pay for the labour.

But if you put forward a strong line of arguments and if you contact the importer, you will find a way to get full coverage as long as it cannot be pointed out it is not caused by improper use or lack of maintenance.

Of course it is much up to you how you behave yourself, but I would dare to say your dealer is ?

There was a gearbox problem in early '03 models, but I have only heard of

sticky shifters on '04 (too tight tolerances between axle and seal), I had the same problem. But no transmission or hub issues.

I do not imply you abuse the transmission, neither do I suggest to keep an eye on your spokes ? but anyway, your bad luck and I hope you are happy with your CRF.

Please also report when you need a shimming or valve replacement.

Until then, bye bye.

George

Wah wah wah........there is always one in the bunch -

Sorry you bought a lemon! I have had going on 6 YZF426's and a 03 450 - I never had any issue like you - wait until your valves start going on your CRF -

BTW - the hub issue is user/owner error! Tighten your sprocket bolts correctly next time......

I've been on an 04 CRF450 for 1 year. I blew it up (2 broken valves) about 2 months ago. I researched my options and bought an 04 YZ450F. I have since rebuilt the honda and it is for sale. Never say never, but I'll never buy honda again. I can't wait for my wife to get tired of her Acura so I can sell it. My honda 4 wheeler is up for sale as well.

I had the stainless steel intake valves and spring kit in there. It looks like the right stock exhaust let go first, then the right intake.

For what it's worth, we all can have problems with different brands. I have heard nothing but good things about the reliability on the YZ. I'll be finding out over the next year.

Good luck and maintain these 4 strokes.

A friend of a friend bought a CRF450 and on that same day the engine seized on him. Yes there was oil in the crankcase. I truly do believe that Honda make good products but lately their bikes and including their cars are having trouble. My 04 YZ450 was bought in September and so far all I have done was to adjust the chain. I have been riding it every weekend on both days. Last week I finally decided to adjust the valves. After an hour of disassembling the engine and reading the manual, I found out the valves were still in spec. I was upset because now I have to put everything back and I didn't have to adjust anything. This week I will check my spokes to see if they are coming loose. I will also check the hardware to see if the toque settings are still in spec. The only thing I don't like about the YZ450 is its oil drain plug at the side of the tranny case. It is very hard to reach. Riding the YZ feels like you're on top of the bike. Now after more practices, I started to feel like I am part of the bike. The turns are getting sharper and its speed is increasing. It seems like the bike is telling me "Is that all you got".

It wasn’t because the bolt was not tightened, the casting broke! As far as the CR is concerned I know only 1 guy that has had the valve problem (out of 20 or so). Out of all my friends I’m the only one that stayed with Yamaha, true blue is what I would say. But after talking to numerous mechanics that I know and other Yamaha riders at different tracks trough out Southern California since I bought this REGRET. And the simple fact that my CR is still running strong! I would never buy a YZ again.

I will admit that the Yamaha is a stronger bike of the two but what good is that if it only gets a few rides between rebuilds.

Now you know what really is a bummer, I kept the Cr stock and did up the YZ. Suspension, triple clamps, bars and the rest like every one else with this addiction. Now I have to start all over on the BETTER of the two, plus buy another spare bike. Guess what color that one is going to be.