HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Speedin' Ian

over heating

8 posts in this topic

I just bought a 426 and road it for the first time this weekendand I was wondering, do these bikes over heat? The reason I ask is I did a pretty long and technical loop with sections where the motor was idling for about ten minutes and we were only going about 5mph. I would blip the throttle from time to time and it seemed fine but since this is my first 4-stroke I was curious what you guys think.

Yes the new 4-strokes over heat if you let is sit idling or going slow.

You will need to keep moving. I usually lead our trail rides, and when I am waiting for some of the stragglers to catch up, I turn off my bike.

I had some issues with over heating until I changed the way I ride and started using engine ice

There is always a big debate on the cost of engine ice and if it is worth it. I use it, because it just works for me :cry:

Thanks for the response Dano, I'll look into switching over to engine ice , I run that in my shifter kart so I may as well put it in the bike. Should I only worry about it on hot summer days, or will it overheat on cold days as well. I appologize for all the questions but I had a string of bad luck with this bike so I want to make sure nothing else goes wrong.

Well you being from So Cal and me from MN - the term cold days might mean two different things. :cry: I did have my bike over heat once on a tight single track (50 degress) before I started using engine ice.

Hope that answered your question?

sirthumpalot is right - a new radiator cap will help as well.

The radiator cap is set by the factory to go at a certain temp, right? Wouldn't getting a cap that has a higher temp possibly lead to other, bigger, problems?

The radiator cap is set by the factory to go at a certain temp, right? Wouldn't getting a cap that has a higher temp possibly lead to other, bigger, problems?

Nope, get one from a KXF/RMF. All it does is raise the boiling point of the coolant.

The factory riders make the rads bigger and instal a 1.8 cap.