over heating

I just bought a 426 and road it for the first time this weekendand I was wondering, do these bikes over heat? The reason I ask is I did a pretty long and technical loop with sections where the motor was idling for about ten minutes and we were only going about 5mph. I would blip the throttle from time to time and it seemed fine but since this is my first 4-stroke I was curious what you guys think.

Yes the new 4-strokes over heat if you let is sit idling or going slow.

You will need to keep moving. I usually lead our trail rides, and when I am waiting for some of the stragglers to catch up, I turn off my bike.

I had some issues with over heating until I changed the way I ride and started using engine ice

There is always a big debate on the cost of engine ice and if it is worth it. I use it, because it just works for me :cry:

Thanks for the response Dano, I'll look into switching over to engine ice , I run that in my shifter kart so I may as well put it in the bike. Should I only worry about it on hot summer days, or will it overheat on cold days as well. I appologize for all the questions but I had a string of bad luck with this bike so I want to make sure nothing else goes wrong.

You can get a higher pressure radiator cap which will raise the boil over temp by a few degrees.

Well you being from So Cal and me from MN - the term cold days might mean two different things. :cry: I did have my bike over heat once on a tight single track (50 degress) before I started using engine ice.

Hope that answered your question?

sirthumpalot is right - a new radiator cap will help as well.

The radiator cap is set by the factory to go at a certain temp, right? Wouldn't getting a cap that has a higher temp possibly lead to other, bigger, problems?

The radiator cap is set by the factory to go at a certain temp, right? Wouldn't getting a cap that has a higher temp possibly lead to other, bigger, problems?

Nope, get one from a KXF/RMF. All it does is raise the boiling point of the coolant.

The factory riders make the rads bigger and instal a 1.8 cap.