HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Idaho_Wolverine

20" front and 18" rear rims....?

12 posts in this topic

I recently saw a YZ450F with 20" front and 18" rear rims.

What would the benifits to that be?

I did not get to ride it, but I am a bit curious.

I just saw this in a DirtBike article. The thinking is that MORE sidewall will prevent flats. That's about it. Lots of older bikes used to run 17's on the back.

To change the subject-Where do you live?

I live in I.F. and judging by your screen name, I assume you live close to me.

Mtn. Home, dude.

Is there any good ridding over there?

The track here in town is closed until spring and today was perfect!!

Had to have been 50 atleast!

The 03 YZ450F with the 20/18 inch set up was at the dealer here in town on consignment so he does not know if that is better than the 21/19 set up on my 03 450F

I run 20/18 on my yz :D Four strokes steer with the front and 2 smokes turn with the rear. The 20 has more bite for turning and more rubber for no pinch flats with lower air psi :cry: and go's threw the rocks great :lol: and for the rear i hate changing a 19 tire :cry::cry::lol: The 18 rides smoother :cry: and less pinch flats threw rocks and other things sticking out of the mountain :D After all that i don't MX 21/19 is for MXing I am in the woods, rocks, ruts,roots, mountains, snow :cry:

I run 20/18 on my yz :cry: Four strokes steer with the front and 2 smokes turn with the rear. The 20 has more bite for turning and more rubber for no pinch flats with lower air psi :lol: and go's threw the rocks great :cry: and for the rear i hate changing a 19 tire :D:cry::lol: The 18 rides smoother :cry: and less pinch flats threw rocks and other things sticking out of the mountain :D After all that i don't MX 21/19 is for MXing I am in the woods, rocks, ruts,roots, mountains, snow :cry:

Good info for those who use their bikes in the woods!!!

the 20"/18" combo is a Ty Davis special. Not many guys are faster than him in the off road racing scene. The lack of tire choices are an issue with that setup however.

I remember when the B-50 MX BSA hit the shores it had a 20 front 18 rear....Was one of

the best turning bikes I ever had....rubber was kinda hard to find but sure did turn

good..

Mtn. Home, dude.

Is there any good ridding over there?

The track here in town is closed until spring and today was perfect!!

Had to have been 50 atleast!

The 03 YZ450F with the 20/18 inch set up was at the dealer here in town on consignment so he does not know if that is better than the 21/19 set up on my 03 450F

Not as close as I thought. We have a Wolverine Mountain over here so I assumed that was where you got your screen name. I lived in M.H. back in the late 70's/early 80's. Used to eat at a barbecue place owned by the Birchfields. Can't recall the name.

I put my bikes away in Oct when it started getting cold so I could work on snowmachines. We have mostly mountain riding around here, so even at 40 degrees in town, I would suspect it would be much colder in the mountains and wet. Nice part is if you like mountain riding, we have a couple hundred miles of maintained trails within 30 minutes of my house and they are all public land.

Way out, sounds like good ridding. I am from Michigan and that is where Wolverine comes from. My Idaho plate on my truck says "WOLVREN" and you would not believe how many people here just dont get it.

I tell them read it like WOLV-R- EN because we only get 7 letters and that is as close as I can get.

As for the 20/18 set up gos, I dont believe I will need that now. I try to stay away from rocks and sharp things.

Take care all!