HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
higgy426

cornering

8 posts in this topic

I have a hard time getting my bike to corner I am either pushing the front tire out from under me or it is pulling me straight past the corner. I am a novice rider but I can corner my other bike (kdx200) much better.

I have already raised the forks up about 1/2 inch. please help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Higgy, Larry Roseler says you can almost NEVER be too far forward on the bike when cornering, I've been practicing this alot lately with great results. Do all of your braking before a corner scoot up on the seat/tank and gas it coming out of the corner. I've ridden 2-strokes that dont corner as well as the WR, so I dont think that it's the bike thats giving you problems when cornering, I think alot has to do with confidence..... my .02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

www.garybailey.com

"How to Corner" video and "How to Flow Like a Pro" are PHENOMINAL instructional videos. If followed, you can go from mid/back of the pack to winning. I know, I did it, and they are worth EVERY PENNY.

And no, I get no kick back.

When cornering, be as far forward as possible, lead with your head (yes, HEAD), when you look down you should see your crossbar, Your elbows should be up and out, you should have a "Re-Grip" on grips, and your foot should be up near your axle if not further forward.

------------------

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i find in tight woods i like to get far forward,like stated,elbows up,etc, then goose it to have the rean end come around,i realize this is a woods move as opposed to a mx track move, but it works pretty well, i find the goosing works better than the lock up the rear wheel thingy. i ride alot of uphill/downhill switchbacks in my ravine. btw, as a rider i pretty much stink tho, but i llike that move. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check youe sag. I'll bet it is way low.On the WR's we never let it go below 100mm. And after that you'll most likely want to move those forks back up a little. Sit for the sag test where you usually sit on the bike in turns or stand on the pegs and have someone balance you. Typically when bikes don't turn its the sag.

JIMMY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotta good info for you already. My WR is a veritable Rocket Ship out of the corners no matter what the angle. I ride so far forward I had to start wearing protection or risk becoming a unick from being racked so much. :) The only drawback is that I have chewed up the tops of two sets of tank graphics. The only thing That I would add is to make sure that your front tire type and pressure matches the firmness of the terrain that your riding on. I generally find that 9.5 lbs works great for soft to med terrain and 12 lbs for med to hard. I never use 15 lbs no matter what because the front tire tends to drift or washout with either the 756 or the 739. Bike setup is 40% of the solution and the other 60% is technique, experience and ability.

Ride with your head and your Butt will surely follow. :D

Bonzai........ :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get rid of the stock tires if they are Dunlop 739's. I put on 756's and it made a difference. 752's are supposed to be real good too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a feeling jlewis is right on. I have adjusted rebound, and compression up front, but havent changed anything in back. I know my sag is low, so Im going to do that next. The rebound has helped me big time, and that push is almost gone-but Im sure I can get it to turn alot better. If I can find a good deal on bars, thats my last mod......of course I've said that before!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0