Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DeanB

XL600 blows stop light

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

My XL600 keeps blowing stop light bulbs (x 4 in past 2 months) and last time a tail light bulb. Has good earth. Anyone know the proper headlight wattage or other likely cause?

Maybe able to help others on clutch slippage, broken clutch cable fixture on LHS engine cover, starter and spring replacement.

keep your BULL comments to yourself ... I said I wasnt sure, just trying to help...I wish people were as mouthy to my face as they are in writing

keep your BULL comments to yourself ... I said I wasnt sure, just trying to help...I wish people were as mouthy to my face as they are in writing

I have a black belt in Glock-fu.

Im not positive, but I think a XL600 only runs about a 35-watt headlight as stock ...

I thought that also so I ordered a new bulb (55/60) and when I got it all apart found that I bought the exact same thig was in it. I have the 650L I dont know if they changed it from the 600 to the 650. I hope that I have helped.

Your light is blowing from the vibration while it is lit. This happened repeatedly to me until I put foam under the taillight mounts to isolate. I had a dual filiment bulb but only the tailight would burn (because it is on all the time). Since then I've had the same bulb for months with no prob.

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like the vibration is the culprit. Bulb receives 14V from a hot or cold regulator, and with the headlight on or off (rev'ing doesn't effect regulator output). Looks like the filaments have dropped out of their overheated crimped holding posts.

If it keeps happening, might invest in a light emitting diode replacement.