Edelbrock Carb problems again

WOW.

Thats all i can say.

Scary, WOW.

3 months ago we all agreed the Edelbrock was the single best mod one could do for the bike.

Now we all agree that it has design flaws and we should keep our stock carb.

This is the strangest thread i have ever followed on TT.

OldManTime didnt set his Edelbrock pumper correctly, his ignorance about the product was the problem--not the carb itself...but now we are all saying its a horrible product and canceling orders?

Yeah OK so a couple riders have had hiccups. Edelbrock has the best customer service on the planet. Period. What say you to that? Send it back to them and they will check it out and rebuild it if necessary--FOR FREE. No Questions Asked. What say you to that?

Its a carb--not a plastic fender or some other easy to make thing. Only your bikes front suspension is more fickle than a carb. Any carb.

In the last year i have bought: valves that where out of round, fork springs that where of un-equal tensions, a tank that rubbed, a computer that fogged up and then stopped running, and a cable that snapped after 10 minutes of use.

I didnt rag on ANY of these companies--they where all cool with me and replaced the parts. Stuff like that is going to happen. But none of these companies was a great to deal with as Edelbrock. Period.

You guys are dumb. Thats all i can say. You dont know what you are talking about. Somehow i mean that respectfully--i really do--i just dont know how to sugar coat it.

The Edelbrock carb is a break-thru design in carburation. It is ALMOST as reliable as a tank--and a hell of a lot more reliable than the 30 year old design of the Keihin.

It is externally adjustable.

It imporves the bikes fuel economy a good 20% or so.

It improves off-idle response

It self adjusts for altitude changes.

It has a fuel cell and wont flood-ever.

It will run on its side, or upside down for that matter.

It gives 1+ more horsepower to the motor.

It is made by hard working, dirt bike racing guys right here in the USA.

How anyone could say the Keihin or the Mikuni are in any way in the same league is beyond me. You ever try re-jetting your Mikuni on a ride from 4500ft to 9,678 feet....i.e. from Mikes Sky Ranch to the Observatory? Your bike wont run up there...but my Edelbrock carbed bike will!

Ever try kickstarting your bike after stalling it going up a rooted, muddy, rocky trail? The Keihin WONT start on a steep hill....my Edelbrock will start 1st kick!

You guys are acting like lemmings...one guy didnt know what he was doing--blames the carb, and now everyone is following him and running off the cliff. Its like the Salem Witch Trials. Crazy.

Again--go call Jason at Edelbrock if you have concerns or issues. I drove over and saw him yesterday--had my carb rebuilt for the Dakar. Guy was awesome. Knows his shiite. Unlike some of us...

Now if you guys want to trash the CRF250X...well...

Respectfully,

Mike

Mike, My settings have nothing to do with the fuel valve sticking closed. Nor does it have anything to do with the other riders who have experienced the exact same problem with no satisfactory resolution. I sent my carb in and so have others with this same problem. Our fuel shut off valves continue to stick closed.

The only thing that settings may have anything to do with is carb performance and I have never complained about the Edelbrocks performance. Neither has anyone else in this thread. We all like the way the carb performs. The valves keep sticking closed and its not because of gunk. Im am going to post some pictures of my first shut off valve that stuck closed. This valve has not been cleaned up in anyway. I simply took it out of the carb replaced it with a brand new valve that Edelbrock mailed me and threw this old one in a dresser drawer. It is not gunked up.

Mike, we all have a similar problem here. I hope Edelbrock does not trash us and ignore what were saying the way you just did. We are not lemmings, we simply have a common problem with the QS carb and it has not been resolved and no amount of settings will Stop the valve from sticking.

Mike if a needle setting will stop my valve from sticking please inform me of the setting. If the pumper spray time will stop my valve from sticking please inform me of the setting that will fix it. We all will use your miracle settings to prevent our valves from sticking and be happy. The fact is our problem has nothing to do with needles settings or spray timing. Those are performance settings and we are not having performance problems. Those settings will be of no value if the carb can't get any fuel. That is our problem. The carb can't get any fuel due to the valve sticking closed.

You almost sound like a company rep more afraid of losing sales than admitting the problem and then resolving it for us.

I have never trashed the Edelbrock company. Maybe you should reread the threads. We just feel that dealing with Edelbrock individually has not resolved the problem. They keep replacing bowls and valve seats and valves but that is not fixing our problem. Edelbrock was very easy to deal with I never suggested they were not. But perhaps a group action will cause them to look a little deeper and find the cure.

I find your chastising rude and uncalled for. :cry:

I guess the gloves are off...... :cry:

I guess the gloves are off...... :cry:

Nah, I respect Mike and know he is a very knowledgeable person. Also a talented rider if he is doing Dakar. But I feel he isn't hearing me or the rest of us with this problem. He truly is loyal to Edelbrock and I find no problem with that. That doesn't fix our problem. My dealings with Edelbrock have been pleasant as others in this thread have also said but still we have the problem. Edelbrock is not under attack here but one of their products does have a flaw of some kind in it. None of us has been able to resolve it yet and niether has Edelbrock. Im sure it will be resolved but when is the issue. It's very frustrating riding a bike and have it run out of fuel when you have a full tank.

OK-

I am going to do a search and find the post i sent out OVER A YEAR AGO about this very problem of the float valve sticking.... Just to prove i was the first guy on here to bring all this up. Not Oldmantime--who i too respect very much and simply agree to disagree with.

Then i am going to find the part of his original past that says he is getting better milage with the Keihin. Hence my references to getting the carb --especially the pumper -- dialed in...

Just for the record--my borther is a vendor to Edelbrock....and i have raced with Rob--back when he worked for Edelbrock-so while i have gotten to know them--i have also gotten to respect them--and i have always payed full retail!!!!

-----but if i thought there stuff was rank--i would blast them--just like i have Honda, SCORE, Johnny Cambell, the defective Yamahas, the defective CRF250X, moto-jouranlism in general,Chris Hains (who i used to work for and have 0 respect for), French People (i spent several years in France), the XR650R's footpeg issue, muslims (i have been to 9 muslim countries), and all the other rants and raves i have made on here!

Edelbrock carbs are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keihins SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Mike

oh yeah--

whats all this crap about me being 'uncalled for'?

there are no less than 5 lame posts about some dudes XR600 from 1996 or some time with some lame ass electrical or carb issue or whatever...

Nothing wrong with getting things stirred up a bit on this forum---its been getting way to boring lately!

-Mike

OK-

Then i am going to find the part of his original past that says he is getting better milage with the Keihin. Hence my references to getting the carb --especially the pumper -- dialed in...

-Mike

Mike I did say I get better mileage out of my stock carb but I was not complaining about that. I also acknowledged that it could be the settings but made it very clear that mileage was a none issue to me. My only real issue has been the fuel shut off valve sticking. That is why I started this thread.

i'm looking for my original post!

Click on this link to see pictures of the original fuel valve seat and needle that were sticking in my Edelbrock QS Carb. They have not been cleaned or doctored at all. You will note they are not all gunky. This is what they looked like when I replaced them with a new valve seat and needle sent to me by Edelbrock. The new valve seat and needle started sticking the third ride. I called Edelbrock and they had me mail them my carb. They replaced the bowl and valve with new ones and mailed my carb back to me. 4 1/2 months later it started sticking again, which is where I am at now and why I started this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1582052#post1582052post1582052

---its been getting way to boring lately!

You can say that again.........I'm thinkin about lacing up a set of rims, this forum is so boring. :cry:

BTW - My Edelbrock valve stuck once last year, I took it apart, cleaned it with brake cleaner, never happened again. :cry:

:cry:

You can say that again.........I'm thinkin about lacing up a set of rims, this forum is so boring. :cry:

BTW - My Edelbrock valve stuck once last year, I took it apart, cleaned it with brake cleaner, never happened again. :cry:

I'll give that a try JackAttack. Oh it would be sooooooo nice if it's just that easy.

Seems like the carbs I have worked on had a small clip which attached the needle to the float (very loosely). That would be there I suspect to pull the needle out of the seat in the event it would become stuck. I do not see the groove on top of that Edlebrock needle to hold a clip. Does it have one?

If that carb did that to me once when I was 50miles away from the truck I would be furious. $400 bucks and I'm stuck in the woods?? All of these testimonials and you say it's setup? The carb comes setup for you, I assume the majority of people with one bolted it on as it is a "bolt on product" stated from Mr. Barnum himself. Mike you state it happend to you and you had to bring it back to edelbrock. IMHO that's not acceptable. $400 bucks I shouldn't have to ever take it off the bike. Your brother is a vendor for edelbrock...HeH go figure. That ringing anyone else's bells too?? Sorry for the attitude but when you come back at someone who is dissatisfied with a product and you badger them for it and call them dumb, I think you have a problem. I understand there will be manufacturing flaws here and there but it does not appear that way. Majority rules in my book and until I see more "positive" testimonials on this product they won't be getting my $400. Three months ago this might have been the best bolt-on product for the 650R. However, longevity issues seem to be coming into play. Yeah it has all the added benefits you've stated, I just want to know how long they'll last before I'm stuck in the woods? :cry:

All that talk it sure would suck if your needle valve stuck waaaaay out there during the Drakar, but I guess this cannot happen to you being your brother is tight with Edelbrock.(read as dont jinx yourself).It could happen. :cry:

hey, i just looked at your pics of the needle and seat. looks to me like the cure would be to machine out enough material to stop the rub. i believe you are getting some light galling which is pretty common when you have two similiar materials in constant contact. also haveing a new seat or needle made from 316 sst (not both!) would go a long way to stop the galling problem. just a thought. later :cry:

Your brother is a vendor for edelbrock...HeH go figure. That ringing anyone else's bells too?? Sorry for the attitude but when you come back at someone who is dissatisfied with a product and you badger them for it and call them dumb, I think you have a problem.
but I guess this cannot happen to you being your brother is tight with Edelbrock

:cry: Finally! Some excitement! :cry:

Irondude has a brother that works for Mikuni, I wonder what he thinks? :cry:

oh yeah--

whats all this crap about me being 'uncalled for'?

there are no less than 5 lame posts about some dudes XR600 from 1996 or some time with some lame ass electrical or carb issue or whatever...

Nothing wrong with getting things stirred up a bit on this forum---its been getting way to boring lately!

-Mike

You sure this isn't IronDude? Good thing he isn't on this thread yet! :cry: We would be having a great time. I think it was Irondude that made the first post about the needle not you Mike Kay. :cry:

Are you back in the States Mike?

As for my Edelbrock...like I said, it happened the first time it was installed. It went both ways....no fuel, then stuck open and pissed everywhere. I think it will get fixed and it's a great product. Almost as smooth as the Mikuni and easiest to tune, and lets my bike start one kick everytime. Sometimes there are design flaws that don't get caught till it is tested 500,000 times (customers). Then you have the designers stuck on one thought and can't step back to change the design enough to get away from the problem. I think this is where the Edelbrock is. If the guys making the carburetor had the power to change/do what ever and were not limited by the big guys in the office, it might have been fixed by now????? It is one of the few products out there that has an awesome group of guys (and gals) working working on it and will drop everything to make you happy. If they get the needle thing fixed it would be close to %100. I think one of the vent tubes need a filter on it also. It sucks junk up it as you ride. I tested it and it pulled fluid up the tube while the engine was running :cry:

"Just for the record--my borther is a vendor to Edelbrock....and i have raced with Rob--back when he worked for Edelbrock-so while i have gotten to know them--i have also gotten to respect them--and i have always payed full retail!!!!"

So, If I am reading this right Mike Kay is related to Rob Barnum?? :cry:

Oh man. I just bought one for my husband's bike for Christmas.

Its bad enough when he drops it and can't start it. It would suck to have it just die. I've only read good things about them in online article reviews.

But I've aleady ordered it and its on its way. Maybe I shouldn't have jumped the gun so fast on that one. Live and learn I guess.

Yeah- its amazing how the overwhelming number of guys now hate the edelbrock --they have magically uncoverd its incredible unreliablity do to horrible manufacturing and inherent design flaws. For sure dont buy it! Its a total piece of junk. I mean--3 novice dirt bikers with clogged petcocks, dirty gas, leaking air filters or improperly routed cab vents, etc. etc. etc. cant possibly be wrong!!!!!

! What the hell do Baja 1000 class champions, D 37 # 1 plate holders, and a 32 year desert vet/Dakar racer/Baja tour guide and chase rider know about performance and reliability?

What do 1000's of guys on Harleys know about putting in the miles on their Edelbrock carbs?

Did you know that 10 edelbrock carbs are sold for every one sold to a dirt biker? Where are all the complaints from them?

3 dirt bikers have a hiccup. IMHO its related to some outside variable--like contaminated fuel or dirt getting thru the filters or yes maybe up the vent lines or god knows what--and yeah--maybe there is a batch of out-of-tolerance float valves--maybe--i really really really daubt it--but maybe...

If you are a paranoid freak--just carry a 9/64ths allen head wrench with you out on the trail--it takes just a few minutes to unstuck the valve in the incredibly RARE instance that it sticks. But to make the jump to dumping such a supior product?

Is lemming spelled with one m or two?

Its like finding a spider in your houseplant and so ya plow up the front lawn...

on second thought--for you here is better advice:

Go with the Keihin. For sure it wont ever let you down! While you are at it, put on a Terraflex tire, a Big Gun exhaust, run the K and N airfilter, run Renthal sprockets, keep the OEM bars, and dont worry about the overheating, footpeg mount, or kickstarter bolt---they are perfect--its a Honda--and their engineers know a lot more than some wanna be guy who calls himself a 'racer' -- heck i will take my hard earned dirt bike riding expereince over some self promoting blow hard guys like Mike Kay or Rob Barnum or Sunny Irvine or the rest of them any day!!!

How dare they insult me!!!

How dare they imply that i dont know everything! I know what i know, right !?

I pay taxes and go to church and love the USA--so how can these idiots from California (all fruits and nuts out there!!!) even think of telling me that there might be something else thats causing my carb problems---yeah right--blame the vicitm!!! How could it be anything other than the carb? Dirty gas? Leaking petcock? IT HAS TO BE THE CARB--ITS A PIECE OF CRAP--DONT BUY IT!!!. Your brother is a vendor to Edelbrock? Oh man-- you sholdnt have ever written that--now we have--finally--the ammo to shoot back at that prick MikeKay--he has been taking this attitude ever since i started on this site 7 months ago--and now this!!!!

What an ahole that MikeKay is!

KEIHIN UBBER ALLES!!!!

KEIHIN UBBER ALLES!!!!

KEIHIN UBBER ALLES!!!!

ps--my brother is a ball bearing vendor to hundreds of the companies you buy products from. In fact the tanks, helicopters and F-16s in Iraq, the Boeing coporation, GM, the pumps that circulate at the blood banks, micro-turbos, and even high end archery equipment all source their class 7 bearings from my brother....so i would have to conclude that Edelbrock has the best source for bearings in the USA--and possibly in the world. With total sales of over 2 million bearings a year...the few 100's of edelbrock carbs that use his bearings are less than .1 percent of his sales!

But my brother races bikes--and knows a great product when he sees one! Me too. Sorry you dont.

Heres a couple questions for ya.

Q--How do you start a 360lb Keihin equiped XR650R when it stalls 1/2 way up a steep sand dune?

A--You cant.

Q--How do you start a 360lb Keihin equiped XR650R when it stalls 1/2 way up a steep sand dune?

A--You find TDC, whick the throttle 3 times -- priming it -- and 18 times out of 20 it will start first kick! The other 2 times it will start second kick...

For sure go with the Keihin!

Why arent you guys freaked out about the tendency for the Keihin floats to stick open? Or the frequency of the Keihins jets to clog? Or the many many many other reasons we dumped that pos a few years ago?

Love my Edelbrock Carb! Never a problem with it. The stocker is for sale if anyone is interested PM me.

Mike I don't know what to say to your response. Whether you come here just to brag, shoot us down, or both I don't know. However, like said above you shed absolutely "zero" constructive criticism on the subject. You seem like a very experienced fellow with desert racing and the bike. I'm not here to single you out but you are obviously here to do just that. Some people are having issues and I don't think those "other" variables come into play. Not time after time. Could be a manufacturing flaw yes, however you said it yourself that it happend to you. Could the almightly Desert racer have messed up and gotten dirt in his gas/carb. Lemmings... Please... It really appears you have some "vested" interest in people buying this carb. I just don't get the personal attacks.