Mud tire for YZ450?

I'm looking for a good rear mud tire for my 450. I want one with deep "hairy" knobs. It muddy as hell where I live and the stock tire didn't impress me even when it was new. Now that it has some street wear on it... it feels like I'm riding on ice when I'm on my track.

Do any of you guys know of a agressive mud tire out there for the 450?

I ride a lot of Mud here in Ohio. Well, OK, I used to ride mud alot...just getting back into it after a couple of years off. Michelin S12 or Michelin Starcross MS2 are excellent mud tires. I replaced the stocks on my YZF250 before even riding it! I haven't tried the 772, but have tried the 756. IMO, Dunlops wear way, way to quickly, loose the biting edge on the first ride, an do not perform as well as Michelins even when they are new.

If you go with Michelins, know that they are sized a little differently. Use the 140 width on your 450, 120 width on YZF250.

Trellborg also has a sweet mud tire, but I can't recall the model designation.

I personally will never run Dunlops again, dirt, street, or automotive...poor wear and poor grip do not equal good value to me.

Dunlop 773 for soft mud and sand. 756 for intermediate to soft.

Thanks man. Its funny, right after I made this thread ( not really expecting any replies ) I was searching the net and found a pic of the Dunlop 773, I like the looks of them so much that I ordered a front and rear for my bike. Your reply make me feel even better. ?

I ride a lot of Mud here in Ohio. Well, OK, I used to ride mud alot...just getting back into it after a couple of years off. Michelin S12 or Michelin Starcross MS2 are excellent mud tires. I replaced the stocks on my YZF250 before even riding it! I haven't tried the 772, but have tried the 756. IMO, Dunlops wear way, way to quickly, loose the biting edge on the first ride, an do not perform as well as Michelins even when they are new.

If you go with Michelins, know that they are sized a little differently. Use the 140 width on your 450, 120 width on YZF250.

Trellborg also has a sweet mud tire, but I can't recall the model designation.

I personally will never run Dunlops again, dirt, street, or automotive...poor wear and poor grip do not equal good value to me.

I also love Michelin tires, its all you will find on my familys cars and truck and my Jeep. I wish I had looked at them before, like I said in the post above I bought a pair of dunlop 773s last night.

What is the price range on those Michelins? I paid $ 112.90 (shipping included) for the 773s. If the dunlops wear as fast as the stock tire did I will definitly try the Michelins next.

Thanks again for the info ?

If the dunlops wear as fast as the stock tire did I will definitly try the Michelins next.

I've found that Dunlops in general tend to wear a little quickly at first, but then they get into a phase where they sort of stop wearing for a while. I can't give a definitive answer as to how it will hold up in mostly mud, 'cause we don't get much around here. I know that the 773 works a lot better in sand, especially wet sand, than the 756 or the Maxxis IT, but the deserts in my area are a mix of soils, and the harder, rockier sections put a lot of wear on the 773.

The OEM tires on anything are rarely as good as the retail versions of even the same tire, so figure your Dunlops to wear better than stock at least.

The only tire I will ever run is the Michelin starcross soft compound. When you buy a tire your buying quality. So the money you spend counts. I've tried dunlops and bridgestones. The only thing there good for is looking pretty. Your tire is probably the most important pieace on your bike. After all without a good tire how well are you going to ride?

Michelin starcross soft compound

I ride in nothing but sugar sand and mud down here in FL- I wouldn't run anything except the 773.

I have tried just about every soft compound tire out and none hook up in the loose stuff better than the 773.

The dunlop does wear a little quick- and if you introduce any condition other than sand and mud you will cry at the rate it wears down.

I took a trip to some Georgia Clay on a brand new 773 and it was shot at the end of the day.