HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dvfh

Axle Bolt Size?

7 posts in this topic

Hey Guys I have a 04 WR450.

I want to adjust the chain tension and possibly change out the tires. So, I have a couple of questions?

1) What size wrench do I need to loosen the rear and front axle bolts? I need to buy one and don't know what size to buy and can't find is specified in the manual.

2) I have changed dozens of bicycle tires but never on a motorcycle. It is worth me trying? Is it going to be to difficult? What tools should I get to do so? Or am I better off just taking to to a shop to do for me?

thanks,

Dave

27 mm wrench for rear axle and 22mm for the front axle nut.

Buy 3 - 16" long Motion Pro steel tire irons, Moton Pro bead buddy tool and heavy duty tubes. Get a riding buddy to supervise you the first time and then you can change them yourself the next time. A lot easier with soap & water and the right tools. :cry:

I want to adjust the chain tension and possibly change out the tires. So, I have a couple of questions?

1) What size wrench do I need to loosen the rear and front axle bolts? I need to buy one and don't know what size to buy and can't find is specified in the manual.

2) I have changed dozens of bicycle tires but never on a motorcycle. It is worth me trying? Is it going to be to difficult? What tools should I get to do so? Or am I better off just taking to to a shop to do for me?

thanks,

Dave

1) 27mm and 22mm, I believe. Don't quote me on that though... :cry:

2) Bicycles=Easy. Motorcycles=Not so easy. I'm definitely of the opinion that you should change a couple of tires just so you know how to do it and know what to expect if you have to change one on a motorcycle trip or on the trail sometime. It's tough the first time but the more you do it the easier it becomes and you start to learn which techniques work and which ones don't. There are all kinds of techniques and it varies from person to person.

I'm the flat tire king (at getting flats) and am getting better at changing them than I'd prefer. :cry:

Get a riding buddy to supervise you the first time and then you can change them yourself the next time. :cry:

Yeah, I think I had about ten of them in Moab supervising me!! :cry:

Yeah I sure enjoy the view of you fixing tires from the seat of a yellow DRZ! :cry::cry::cry:

Dave is a master at the quick change and will soon qualify for ISDE ! :cry:

Go Dave Go! :cry:

thanks,

Dave

Dave, I got the Moose one (By Fredette), its a boxed end made just for out bikes. Its a 22X27, I bought it from Dennis Kirk and the number was 28643 and I picked up the Moose Tool wrap number 504187 to carry the wrench and other goodies for out on the trail.