XR600 Fork Oil

Sorry to ask something that I'm sure has been asked a zillion times - what grade oil should I use? - stock stuff seems OK for me - what weight is ATF that the manual says to use??

Thanks

Steve

I believe it is PJ1 that markets an "ATF weight" oil that they also list as 17W. Most ATF are ISO 37 or thereabouts, so if you can find an ISO number for the fork oils you have available, maybe that will help. Or you can simply use ATF. NOte that only the older XR600 used ATF, newer ones with ther cartridge fork specify 5W I think. (Oh, by the way, ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid.)

Thanks Hairy :cry:

I think you have confirmed the important bit - I have an old workshop manual but my bike is a 98 model, so hence cartridge forks. I put some 5W in them last night which seems to be the same as the snot that was in originally (but a lot cleaner obviously!!). At least I have a reference point now if I want to experiment.

Interesting trawling the web as ATF is quoted as anything from 0/20W to 30W, and many in-between! And some have said it eats seals as well. Bizarre.

Thanks

Steve

Interesting trawling the web as ATF is quoted as anything from 0/20W to 30W, and many in-between! And some have said it eats seals as well. Bizarre.

Not that bizarre. Its just a simple case of most people not knowing what they're talking about. It happens alot with cars too.

Honda specs Honda SS7 fork oil for those forks, which is 5WT.

its always been explained to me, that ATF actually has two factors that seperate it from the engine oils.... it handles high heat better, and it has Seal preservatives in it ... ( I also know it has a very high detergent action, therefore diesel engine manufacturers actually clean used fuel injectors by boiling them in ATF prior to rebuilding them ) ...