HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zeroseven

How to tell '00 426 from '01

13 posts in this topic

I think the front brake rotor may have changed in size by 10mm (larger on the 01'). Can someone back me up on this?

if the bike is stock, graphics and the front brake system is how you tell them apart.

The 00 bike has a fixed rotor and akebono master cylinder

the 01 bike has a floating rotor (has rivets in it) and a nissan MC

If the bike has the 5 valve titanium sticker on the side it's an 01.

I can buy that sticker and put it on my 00 also. Not always a tel-tale sign there.

Hmmm. No sticker. floating disc but '00 clutch..., still unsure

The '00 had an Akebono front master, the '01 a Nissin. Easily switched, true...

I'm not sure about the disc, but as I remember it the '00 was fixed and the '01 floated.

The header on the '01 was a bit higher and cleared the oil filter cover, on the '00 you had to loosen and twist (or remove) the header to R&R the filter. Again, easily changed, a few '00 owners just wrenched the stock header up out of the way and made it permanent.

The '01 had a different carb needle, OBEJP stamped on the needle vs. OBEKR on the '00 (or something like that, the relevant difference is the letter J vs. letter K). Easily switched by the '00 owner (no sane '01 owner would use '00 jetting).

I had both but that is all I can think of. Look up the VIN.

Thanks everyone, it looks like its an '00. Never had a problem with the jetting (though I run it on the street) until now!! I'll order a needle.

Thanks again

the 00 doesnt have a hotstart on the carb. but the 01 does

(correct me if im wrong)

Okay.

The '00 hot start is on the carb, which was changed to a proprietary design beginning in that year.

The '99 hot start was plumbed external to the carb as you describe.