HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ETP

2003 450 Battery Replacement

4 posts in this topic

My 03 stock battery is getting weak. Almost 2 years old now. Won't hold a charge. Its a Yuasa , # YT275 MF.

Has anyone found a better aftermarket replacement that will fit in the same compartment, or is the stock replacement the best option?

Thanks

I'd be checking your regulator/rectifier first, as Yuasa batteries are generally high quality and should last longer than 1 year. Check that your charge voltage is around 13.8 volts. If it goes much over 14 volts when you give it a rev your reg/rect could be overcharging the battery, which will kill it much quicker than normal.

Last week I needed to kick the bike to get it started (Bike had been sitting for 2 weeks), then it would E start after short stops. I turned on the DS kit, after about 4 hours of riding, and the battery did not have enough juice to sound the horn unless I had it revving real high. I assumed the battery was getting weak. The metered voltage was 12.6V at the battery later that night, however there was not enough energy to E start the bike.

Charging voltage is around 13.5-14.7V.

Took the battery out today and charged it for a while. Now seems to be OK.

Have any of you 03 owners had to replace your batteries yet?