HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
endurodog

Valve spring removal

4 posts in this topic

I'm needing to get the valves out of head on my WR. I know for cars they have spring tools for getting the springs compressed. What have you guys used to compress the springs and get the valves out of the head? Thanks in advance.

I would be surprised if you couldn't just compress the springs by hand...haven't had mine apart yet, but I did it that way on my old XL250. :cry:

I'm needing to get the valves out of head on my WR. I know for cars they have spring tools for getting the springs compressed. What have you guys used to compress the springs and get the valves out of the head? Thanks in advance.

Rex, easy, set the head on the bench and fill the combustion area with a rag and just compress it with a socket modified (partially ground open on the side) and you can compressit easily enough with your hands. multi valved engines valve springs arent too tough.

If you need a picture of the modified socket, let me know, I'll send you one.

the proper tool looks like a big G clamp with threaded adjusters on both ends. One end locates on the centre of the valve head and the other end has a bude that is cut away on both sides to allow collet removal once the spring has been compressed. You could use the socket method to get the springs out (never had to do it myself - always had access to the proper tool), but reintalling the collets could be tricky. I'd borrow the correct tool, or make one.