Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spooner

426 cam chain questions..

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys-we bought a 426f that we will be 'tarding out this winter to have as a fun toy at the roadrace track. One of our customers who races for us used to have a 426 and he mentioned that the cam chains tend to go quickly on these. I haven't heard that much before so I want to know what the pro's here have to say. I don't really know how much time is on the bike, but I can tell its not a super low hour machine. The bike seems to run great, but does puff a little smoke.

Should we be swapping out the chain and any other parts this winter, or should we not worry about it..??

-Spooner

One of our customers who races for us used to have a 426 and he mentioned that the cam chains tend to go quickly on these.

-Spooner

That's the first I've heard of this happening.

Although when I put new piston and rings in my '00 and '01 I replaced the cam chain, I think it is about $35.

But if the bike runs alright I wouldn't worry about it. If you are "that type" then go ahead and replace the rings and, while you're at it, the cam chain (and check the valve clearances)...

Hopet his helps.

Failing to periodically replace the cam chain in a YZF has been linked to problems with prematurely wearing put the cam drive sprocket on the crank.