Sand tomorrow: Advice?

I'm hitting the sand tomorrow for the first time on my WR. Last night I did the typical pre-game warm-up stuff; changed oil, adjusted pilot screw (it's cold), changed suspension a bit. Today I am going to get an 8 paddle tire mounted.

Can I get any advice from some of you guys in regards to riding in the sand? I'll be putting around with quads so I won't really have anyone to bounce setup issues off of. It sounds like the main thing is to just stay on the gas and not let the front tire bury itself.

Thanks for any advice. I attempted to search on this but found nothing... :cry:

You pretty much got it. Just ride aggressive and keep the front end up. Your bike will surprise you! :cry:

8 Paddle tire! :cry: You dog! :lol: You are going to have a blast! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I'm kind of a dirtbike novice, but I've found that turning in the sand is about 4x easier when you're standing up on the pegs & use loads of body english.

Yes, don't use a grease based chain lube. All the sand sticks to it and tears the crap out of your drive train. Use something like a wax or WD-40/Triflow.

Stay on the gas and ride a little more aggressive than normal. Going too slow will make for a LOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG day. I like to go fast in the sand washes and sit back a little to keep the front end floating.

:D I ride Glamis and Gordon's Well like every other weekend and big thumpers are a blast in the sand :cry: If you are gonna follow quads keep a huge distance so you can get on the throttle so you don't burry your front end :cry: If you wind up loving the sand you will want a 10 paddle especially if you are gonna put around. With a 450 an 8 paddle has a tendancy to bury to easy. You will also not have the traction to pull out of deep sand or turn as easy. :cry:

Once you learn the dunes you will be better off leading. Becareful of the quad lines especially in tight turns and bowls. They can turn on a dime in the sand and a big bike will have a hard time doin that. Just tell your buddies if they lead to take big turns and pick fast lines so you can stay on 2 wheels :cry:

:lol: I have been goin to the dunes for about 8 years and I have never had as much fun out there until this year when I finally broke down and got a thumper. :cry:

Man, thanks for the replies! I'll throw some WD-40 on the chain tonight. The wheels at the shop right now getting the tire mounted.

I'll post some pics tomorrow night! Thanks again. :cry:

I'm calling to see if maybe I can get a 10 paddle mounted as well..

If your going to go to Winchester Bay or Horsefall have fun, riding sand is a blast, but beware of the dropoffs, they can be killer especially at Winchester bay where the winds blow a lot. Give yourself plenty of space when riding with quads, you will find yourself out distancing them easy in the sand. I run an 8-paddle on my 450 and it is great, plenty of roost.

To be honest we don't even really know where we are going :cry: I've never been to Sand Lave (Think it's in Hebo?). My father in law has been there but its been years. We'll probably get lost and never ride!

Wait, I've got my handy GPS. This will be its first test.

Two things you might want to also consider:

1. The forest rangers (we call them "db rangers") there are sticklers when it comes to a forest approved muffler and that it is 96db or under! They like to write tickets to those who do not obey. And remember....ignorance is not an excuse! We tried that one. :cry:

2. One possible overlooked item is the flag. But more importantly the flag mount. If you can try to stay away from the axle mounted type flag mounts. They are weak and on lazy crashes they tend to break. Look for a mount which either attaches to the sub-frame or the rear fender. I bought one from www.flickwhip.com. I am very happy with it...so happy that I made a half dozen of them from the same design. Also look at the site www.clickwhip.com . There is no way I would pay that price for this simple contraption when you can buy the same equipment from Home Depot for $4.00.

Have fun!

Most of all....Have FUN!

1102093324_dunejump1_1.jpg

1102093346_dunejump1_2.jpg

1102093360_dunejump1_3.jpg

1102093370_dunejump1_4.jpg

1102093379_dunejump1_5.jpg

Nice pics POZI,

try this

If you want it save it to your comp, I'll be deleting it frm my server on Monday.

Two things you might want to also consider:

1. The forest rangers (we call them "db rangers") there are sticklers when it comes to a forest approved muffler and that it is 96db or under! They like to write tickets to those who do not obey. And remember....ignorance is not an excuse! We tried that one. :cry:

2. One possible overlooked item is the flag. But more importantly the flag mount. If you can try to stay away from the axle mounted type flag mounts. They are weak and on lazy crashes they tend to break. Look for a mount which either attaches to the sub-frame or the rear fender. I bought one from www.flickwhip.com. I am very happy with it...so happy that I made a half dozen of them from the same design. Also look at the site www.clickwhip.com . There is no way I would pay that price for this simple contraption when you can buy the same equipment from Home Depot for $4.00.

Have fun!

Man what a lesson I learned today. You need a flag to ride in the dunes, I unfortunately didnt read this until just now, obviously. We were out there for about an hour and then that's when the little green truck found me. He wrote down my information and told me I needed a flag and to get back to camp. Luckily he just gave me a warning and that was that. The rest of the day pretty much sucked as I had to take turns riding the quad that was with me. It was fun but I was liking the bike a lot and was finally getting the hang of it.

It makes sense to have a flag but in all honesty I don't remember ever seeing flags on bikes for some reason. Live and learn I guess. I would like to thank everyone for their advice though. I am not sure I would've survived without the paddle tire that's for sure. :cry:

i ride glamis alot and gordons ocasionally... quads can turn on a dime but as long as your comfortable your buddys can turn on a dime and you can take a diffrent line... thats usually what i do... i tell those a-holes not to do it but they seem to find a way... i just pop up and over that razor and find a new line to meet up w/ them... no biggie... its all good... if your going w/ slower quads... deffinatly keep plenty of room between you guys... you need to be on the throttle alot to keep that front end floating... i learned the hard way 2 years of riding w/ slow folks and now i ride w/ a crew that knows how to ride thier quads and its not bad at all... anyhow... you wont find a 10 blade for your 18" rim that will fit properly... i have been searching forever... 8 blade is the best you will be able to do... the 530 is too wide and the only 100/110 paddle is a 8 blade... it works great but im craving more and going to be swappin wheels for a 19" shortly so i can get the nice 10 blade option.. :cry:

Nice pics POZI,

try this

If you want it save it to your comp, I'll be deleting it frm my server on Monday.

Thanks Jackazz. That's cool.

right-click, saveas. :cry:

I rode the crap outa my 426 at Sand Mtn. in Nevada (about 800 feet of gnarly sand dune) and found that my stock gearing worked very well. Forgive me, I am away from home and can't seem to remember what that was, 14-50, I think. I also had a Kenda "The Funk" 8 paddle on the rear. I will be going to a 10 paddle next, just wasn't enough dig for me on that 8. I found a tire with 10 paddles, even a decent price. The AMS Sand Snake Rear 120/100-18. I will be getting one of these before my next trip out to the dunes. I can't advertise where I found it but if you copy & paste the above tire you should be able to find it easily enough.

Other than that, use a greaseless chain lube and keep your tire pressure low (I am about 190) to about 8 psi front & rear. Check my pics out on my profile, they are mostly from Sand Mtn, was a blast. :cry:

10 cup viper or a Hooker (scat trak) works very well on my 04. 14 48 gearing and a lead foot... er wrist.